What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What do you mean ?. How can you have created a top 30 3D list and not seen or graded the first KFP ?.

I haven't seen every 3D release. I have seen most.

The studios never sent me copies of any of the KFP films so they were overlooked.

In most cases, when I am not sent something, I readily purchase a title when members recommend it.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
In most cases, when I am not sent something, I readily purchase a title when members recommend it.

Links: KFP 1 (2008) (3-D), KFP 2 (3-D) and KFP 3 (3-D). There are a few good deals on eBay (link here) for the first two installments including part 1 for $17 from the UK (region free) or both 1 & 2 for $35 (includes shipping! and reportedly also region free) from Vladimir Putin himself (jk, Russia). I almost forgot about part 2 which was also received good reviews. For example, Liebman wrote, in part:

DreamWorks is getting better and better with every Blu-ray 3D release, and Kung Fu Panda 2's turn to take up a third dimension results in a viewing experience that is nothing short of spectacular and instantly establishes itself as the current king of the Blu-ray 3D universe. This is what 3D entertainment should be; the image retains all of the same expert textures and super colors of the 2D-only release, but it adds a seamless and natural sense of depth and plenty of visual cues that appear to extend beyond the boundaries of the screen.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I the UK ?. My early searches for 3D blu hasn't come up with anything as yet. I notice that 3D audio mixes are also dumbed down compared to some 2D UHD titles.
Depends on the title and how many non-English tracks are added. Mad Max Fury Road 3D and Jupiter Ascending 3D both shipped with Atmos tracks, while Gravity 3D had a DTS HD MA 5.1 track while the 2D Diamond Luxe release had the Atmos track and Dredd 3D had a DTS HD MA 7.1 track optimised for DTS Neo:X 11.1.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I hope you won't also defend Peter Gabriel's New Blood 3-D concert. Though it boasts good 3-D, it's an absolute sleeper. A cure for insomnia. I mean Gabriel's music set to orchestra? No guitar, no drums, no energy. Yuck. [emoji42]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'll defend that one. I saw him on an earlier stop on that same tour and had a fantastic time. It understandably won't appeal to 100% of Gabriel's audience but I thought it was a pretty beautiful night of music.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I hope you won't also defend Peter Gabriel's New Blood 3-D concert. Though it boasts good 3-D, it's an absolute sleeper. A cure for insomnia. I mean Gabriel's music set to orchestra? No guitar, no drums, no energy. Yuck. [emoji42]
Actually, I'll defend that one as well. I'm a drummer, but when an artist like Gabriel does something truly unique with strings and completely transforms the character of his music, I'm hooked.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm a completes so I'll always finish a film no matter how much I hate it. I think it took me six tries to finish Jupiter Descending. Truly effing ponderous![emoji16]

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
I'll defend that one. I saw him on an earlier stop on that same tour and had a fantastic time. It understandably won't appeal to 100% of Gabriel's audience but I thought it was a pretty beautiful night of music.

Actually, I'll defend that one as well. I'm a drummer, but when an artist like Gabriel does something truly unique with strings and completely transforms the character of his music, I'm hooked.

Allow me to explain. To me, New Blood will serve as another cautionary reminder against blind buying. I like Gabriel too, but the "So" album Gabriel and am more of a casual fan. I had never heard the album previously and so wasn't prepared for the slow, orchestral rearrangements or "new interpretations" of his music. I was a little leary way back when Robert Plant and Jimmy Page reunited for "Unleded" and performed with that Egyptian orchestra but it remained Zeppelin at its core. You knew you what each song was and they remained faithful to the original. That was not the case with Gabriel and New Blood though admittedly, I am not as familiar with Gabriel's B-side songs as I am with Zeppelin's. In New Blood, "In Your Eyes" was the only one that came close to being recognizable to me. I had a feeling that some in that audience felt as I did watching from my couch. When that guest singer came on stage for that piece, the beat hastened a bit and and the violins played those more familiar notes, the crowd seemed to awaken and applauded and cheered. It was like, "wow, he's playing something we actually recognize!" I yearned for that feeling throughout the entire video. As a former drummer myself, having them stripped from "In Your Eyes" rendered it hollow. Gone are the African influenced rhythms and percussion instruments that make the song instantly recognizable on radio. The video was sharp though I don't believe there was any reason whatsoever for this concert to feature 3-D. It seemed like nothing more than a marketing gimmick to increase sales. I also like classical music, theater and opera. Aida, Carmen, Simon Rattle and Pina are among my favorite Blu-ray 3-D disks that I'd recommend to any fan of the genres. Perhaps with the exception of Simon Rattle, the extra dimension draws me in. Sure it was cool seeing the Hammersmith Apollo in 3-D, Ronnie Dio's concert video from that venue is one of my favorites, but the orchestra and the audience looked flatter than most everything else on screen which didn't help to lift me out from my incessant boredom. This isn't an attack on the man. Though I don't agree with some of his views and opinions, I like his music and respect him for his humanitarian works. Anyhow, Stephen, I'll leave you with this image of the unmistakable drum goove of "In Your Eyes" stripped out in New Blood:

InYourEyes.png

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Another problem with that Peter Gabriel disc is that the 3D version is at a more film-like 24 frames per second, but the included 2D version is 30fps just like live video should be. (Many concert videos are intentionally shot at the lower frame rate, but I think it looks terrible.) Blu-Ray can only do the higher frame rate at 720p resolution, but that would have been preferable.

marcuslaw

Rabid 3-D Aficionado
Real Name
Anthony
A clarification is needed for Rocky Mountain Express as it is not in a 3D category.

Perhaps some good news Paul. It appears there will be a 3-D version of Rocky Mountain Express released in Germany from Euro Video this September (which can be pre-ordered on amazon.de and shipped to N.A.). It will, however, be Region B locked. On the other hand, in addition to 3-D, another feature that might make it a worthwhile import for those with Region B playback ability is that it will reportedly contain a English Atmos track.

81KQIej0GoL._SX425_.jpg
:3dglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks