What's new

HTF, the most obsessively geekified realm in the DVD universe? (1 Viewer)

Pep Guidote

Agent
Hi All!
I saw this article and wondered just how geeky we all are around here.
Here's a quote from the Lard Biscuit:
And then there is the heart of darkness: the discussion boards of Home Theater Forum, the most obsessively geekified realm in the DVD universe, where I will surely be excommunicated and burned in effigy if they get wind of this heretical tirade.
Is it time to excommunicate and burn somebody? :D
-Pep
P.S. You may have already read about it. I did a quick search and turned up nothing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My compliments to the author. I wish I had written it. Somehow I managed to miss this when it first came out.

And before anyone gets concerned about his calling HTF a "geekified realm", check the first installment of the article in which the very first sentence proudly declares:

Before I begin, let me state for the record that I am a DVD geek.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This article came out about a year ago - it was discussed here then. Contrary to the author's fears, he was NOT excommunicated. I think most folks here took it in pretty good humor.
Personally, I am proud to be a DVD geek!! ;)

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
While I am a DVD geek, I have run across other forums that are made up of a much more geekafied audience. I find pratically everyone here intelligent and semi-normal.

Pep Guidote

Agent
My apologies for not having known this has already been discussed. I'm an HTF newbie.
Still, the arguments that the author makes are as valid today as there were last year. This should make some interesting read for those that missed it the last time.
And yes, I too am a "DVD geek!" :)
-Pep

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Well, he does generalize the DVD community a teensy-weensy bit doesn't he?

I can agree on some points, but I can certainly also see how he was just looking to make every aspect of this as negative as in any way possible. For instance, he somehow believes that the use of the term "day-and-date" is goofy and redundant. How's that? I wouldn't have the imagination to come up with that if I were to write such an article.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If being a Home Theater Geek is wrong, then baby, I don't wanna be right! :D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Gotta say I loved this part:

I've always been under the impression that the purpose of buying a DVD was to watch a movie. If a DVD contains a movie I like, complete and in its original aspect ratio, with a gorgeous picture and kick-ass sound, then that DVD has done its job. That DVD is everything I want it to be, and I will be proud to own and enjoy it -- even if it has absolutely zero extras. To me, supplemental features are nothing but gravy, and I have never pitched a hissy fit over a DVD that was lacking them. Roughly half of the DVDs in my collection contain no supplements aside from maybe a trailer and subtitles, and I like them all just fine that way. Know why? Because I like the damn movies on 'em, that's why!

Couldn't agree more with that. I can't get over how many people buy movies they're not all that interested in because it's "a cool package."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
In case any of the newer, more impressionable HTFers think I'm serious, about this time a year ago I announced to the Forum that I was buying a new Sony WEGA simply because of a certain DVD release that was imminent at the time--the thread must have reached a hundred posts or thereabouts. I'm that serious about those little silver platters!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If you want to see some *real* geeks to to

avscience.com and check out the forums there.

Makes the technical discussion on this forum look like conversation about the weather!

-dave

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I not only remember this article, but I bookmarked it at the time and on occassion I e-mail the URL off to a new drone who has been assimilated! :D

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure everyone here sees a bit of themselves and their obessions in this article. The aforementioned geeks that get on my nerves are the "It's going to be a slow Tuesday for me, I'm only buying three" people.It's like Tuesday has become the most important day in their lives.I have yet to feel slighted becaue I waited till Wednesday to buy a movie.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
David-
Love the new signature....especially the graphic with the Tuesday and dollar sign. Pure genius :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Dan, I agree. And I definitely see some of myself in the article... I'm the guy obsessing over bad keepcases :p Amaray spoiled me for anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks