What's new

HTF, the most obsessively geekified realm in the DVD universe? (1 Viewer)

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
What's beautiful about the HTF is that regardless of how much of an ubergeek you think you are, there's always someone here who has managed to take it to an entirely different level.
I mean, if you were to talk to anyone in the real world about harassing Warner Brothers for an OAR release of 'Follow that Bird', they'd think you were nuts. Here it doesn't even raise an eyebrow. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David-
Love the new signature....especially the graphic with the Tuesday and dollar sign. Pure genius :)
Thank you, Tom. In the context of this particular thread, it takes on an entirely different meaning, doesn't it? :D
Imagine how enhanced that different meaning would be in the current thread called "The (in)sanity of collecting DVDs"! :laugh:
Many of us here are addicts. Me, more so. I can't even talk about how insane I am anymore, because my stats bring such gasps from the crowd...and the eventual judgements as well. Since my wife and I agree we're okay, that the bills are under control, and that our son will still go to college at the proper time, then we just really have stopped caring what anyone else thinks. And that's what's important, right?
But my collection couldn't grow as big huge as it has without spending frugally. I have at least a ½ dozen co-workers (some of them manager-types) who think nothing of spending $100 on maybe 4 DVD's! :eek:
That much would probably buy me around 7 discs, myself.
That's how the Weekly Roundup got started: as a printout list of the new releases each week, turned into a quick pen-and-paper grid of who sells it for what, so I could figure out where to go buy the new stuff. After all, if I'm gonna get it anyway, I might as well spend as little on it all as possible!
When I decided to just computerize it as a spreadsheet grid, it then became natural for me to cut-and-paste the final results into an HTF post. Thus the Weekly Roundup of new titles and who sells it cheapest was born!
The new logo for the Weekly Roundup just exemplifies what it's all about: Tuesdays (the street date of most DVDs...though I find myself hitting stores on Wed or Thu for a while now), DVD discs, and the bucks we can either save or spend on them. The lasso is because it's a "Roundup", y'all! ;) (I grew up in Houston, TX). And that picture of a guy who looks bald but isn't quite there yet is moi.
I didn't mean to turn this post into a "ad" for the Weekly Roundup (I don't make a dime off of it in any case). I just thought I'd explain where it came from, to clear up that it's more about saving money on DVD's than about spending money! The logo will now adorn, in a slightly larger size, the main post of each Weekly Roundup thread, over in the HTF Coupons & Bargains section (which the icon is a clickable link to).
Thanks again for the compliment about it, Tom. A pat-on-the-back is what I needed this morning! :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
What a howl!! GREAT geek article!
Fess up .... Everybody here, while reading some (or most) of that link, said to yourself: "Yep, that's me alright."
I just loved these passages (as I howled with laughter)........
.... 99 percent of DVD freaks love keepcases and despise snappers with a nigh-religious passion. This can be very upsetting to a DVD freak's delicate sense of balance and order. ... This factor keeps Warner placed highly on the shit list of DVD freaks, some of whom will even go so far as to refuse to buy Warner DVDs because they don't like snapper cases. No, seriously. I'm not making this up.
I, for one, am NOT in this category. I'm not a Warner-hater, or even a snapper-despiser. I kind of like the snap packaging [--fighting back the flames--].
But, once more, Mr. DVD Geek has hit the proverbial nail on its head! Some of us here really REFUSE to buy Warner because of the case! I, too, find this fact amazingly ridiculous! But, to each his own.
I'm developing into a (near) full-fledged DVD geek myself!!
Are there pills? Shots? Anything to stop this "disc disease"?! Or are we all doomed and destined to be Lucas-hating, special-features-seeking, anamorphic-demanding weirdos for the rest of our lives?!

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Since someone else mentioned it, I'll also give David kudos on his new sig.
I have a confession to make -- since Al Bundy was so prominent in your old sig, well... after a while I could only imagine Al Bundy while reading your posts and you sort of became him in my mind's eye!
I guess visual association is a very strong thing. Maybe I should put a pic of Brad Pitt in my sig file. Either way, now I can finally shake the Al Bundy image! :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
...since Al Bundy was so prominent in your old sig...after a while I could only imagine Al Bundy while reading your posts and you sort of became him in my mind's eye!...now I can finally shake the Al Bundy image
Oh, C'mon...you can still associate me with Al Bundy! Look at the photo of me on the left and the pic of Al, in the middle of the long banner. Don't you think we look alike? :D
Except he's more athletic. I never played High School football, NOR refereed a gaggle of women fighting over women's shoes at a sale price... :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks