What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Twin Peaks: The First Season SE DVD" - REVIEW UPDATED PAGE 2 (1 Viewer)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Does anyone know more about the forthcoming German R2? If it's identical plus the pilot I'll wait and get that...
Hi,
the following info is taken from http://www.area-dvd.de:
According to them it will be a 4 disc set, released by Paramount in September.
Audio: Englisch (Dolby Digital 5.1), German (Mono)
Contains the Pilot (90 min. version) and the first seven episodes.
Extras:
- Introduction to David Lynch
- Mark Frost-Interview "Wrapped in Plastic"
- 17 Pieces of Pie-Shooting at the Mart Diner
- Learning to Speak in the Red Room with Michael J. Anderson
- Twin Peaks Directory mit Postcards of the Actors (Filmographies, biographies und Video-Postcards)
- Audio-Commentary by Director Duwayne Dunham
- Audio-Kommentar by DP Frank Byers
- Audio-Commentary by Director Tina Rathbone
- Audio-Commentary by Director Leslie Linka Glatter
- Audio-Commentary by Director Tim Hunter and writer Robert Engels
- Audio-Commentary by Director Caleb Deschanel und writer Harley Peyton
- Audio-Commentary by Production Designer Richard Hoover
- Log Lady Introductions
- on screen Script Notes
- Tibet
It seems that it's pretty much the same as the US version plus the pilot minus (not surprisingly) DTS.
Chris

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Cheers. I just saw the same stuff on the R2-DVD.org site. Unfortunately Universal own the rights in the UK and they've not been the best R2 supplier in the world, I'm afraid. :frowning:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from this thread it would seem very interesting indeed
http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...hreadid=131410 credit goes to theblairwitch for the comparison
Yeah gave in and bought it.
Have both side-by-side (and the r3 Pilot) so can give the following disection. Might turn into a bit of contrasting both regions - but we're in this forum now so here goes !
Packaging - EXACTLY the same - down to the leaflets and clear plastic outer sleeve. Only difference is that the r2 has better plastic hubs holding the disc making it easier to remove.
R2
Pilot in Dolby Stereo
All Episodes contain commentaries
Log Lady intros
No "script links" that the r1 has
No DTS
Exactly the same disc 4 extras including easier to navigate "postcards from cast"
R1
No Pilot
Log Lady intros
"Script links"
DTS
Pilot r3
"5.1" created for this disc - no real need in my opinion since originally created in stereo and some of the choices seem a bit forced (Norwegians in the Great Northern etc)
There you go
Excellent set in r1 already - dts notwithstanding - r2 is a step-up with the included pilot - hoorah !

Simon Cole

Auditioning
Hey folks - theblairwitch here from the dvd fourms.
Oscar twisted my arm and encouraged me to join - sure I won't regret it :)
Here's the updated specs and comparison:
R2
Pilot in Dolby Stereo
Log Lady intros
No "script links" (during the Episode that the r1 has) - thought it DOES have these as "script notes" - directly linked to the chapter access !
No DTS
All episodes in 5.1 - no Stereo mix
Exactly the same disc 4 extras including easier to navigate "postcards from cast"
R1
No Pilot
Log Lady intros
"Script links"
DTS, 5.1 & Stereo Mix for each episode
Pilot r3
"5.1" created for this disc - no real need in my opinion since originally created in stereo and some of the choices seem a bit forced (Norwegians in the Great Northern etc) On a 5.1 system the sound is fine - though as mentioned by another user: "don't forget that the R3 pilot has what I can only describe as "wooshy" sound when played on cheap sound systems (ie my old Matsui TV) - its a known fault which has something to do with the 5.1 remix. Basically if you have a 5.1 system you're fine." I know that some also complain about edge-enhancement and a too high LFE mix.
Certainly the Pilot r2 looks and sounds great (in a direct comparison the r2 is the better - but not by much) - so that might be a swing for some folks...

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Does the Region 2 release suffer from PAL-speedup? (I'm only concerned with the Pilot episode.)

Simon Cole

Auditioning
John,
No Log Lady for the pilot, I'm unsure if it ever had one, but its certainly not on this set :frowning: Only extras are "background notes" - similar to script notes on other episodes of the r1
Gabe D
Probably not the best person to ask about this. I've personally never noticed speed-up (only ever once on the r2 Halloween disc !). Certainly (obviously) the r2 episodes run at shorter times to the R1 - but there is certainly no obvious detraction - pilot included.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that the R3 pilot has what I can only describe as "wooshy" sound when played on cheap sound systems (ie my old Matsui TV) - its a known fault which has something to do with the 5.1 remix. Basically if you have a 5.1 system you're fine.
Just had to note that this is complete nonsense made up by someone without a 5.1 system and a hopeful heart: The "whooshing" sound (actually the sound being moved in and out of pitch in order to try and create more of a "surround" experience) is VERY audible on a 5.1 setup, just as it is VERY audible on a 2.0 setup :frowning:
Not sure why some people are not so aware of this (Ron didn't even mention it!) but it REALLY irritates my ears and is, again, VERY audible in every sound mode I've ever tried it on.
Still, it's much better than nothing! :D
~ John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks