What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Generations - Special Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I agree. Color saturation is superior, and so is detail.

As noted, the problems with this transfer are not caused by "edge enhancement", which is fast becoming a catch-all term for any video issue. It's aliasing, which continues to be a problem on some transfers, though far less often than in the LD era.

I have the LD and both DVDs. This is by far the best version.

M.

Doug_B

Screenwriter

I hadn't seen it prior to purchasing the DVD. So maybe this means that I'm more tolerant of questionable content than questionable video quality ;) .

Doug

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I was able to borrow the new anamorphic release and compare it to the older non-anamorphic release that I already own.

I was surprised to see that the problems noted in the new release are also in the old release. However, due to the softer picture of the old release, they don't stand out quite as much.

So, since the new release can be found at such a low price, has the extras, and the overall quality is better (IMO), then I will be purchasing the new version.

Hope this comparison helped someone. If someone already posted a comparison, my appologies.

JimmyK

PS - This comparison was on a 40" Tosh 40H80 tube rear projection set calibrated by Gregg Loewen.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I just finished listening to the commentary by Moore and Braga. I've never heard two people be so critical of a film they worked on. I realize Moore is a sharp guy, but this commmentary affirmed the complaints I've always heard about Braga. He does not have a clue.

Peace,

DM

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator
On the featurette "Visual Effects - Crashing the Enterprise" did anyone else's copy show lines and blips on the screen during some of the outdoor parts where they showed the prep work for the crashing of the model. I thinks its on the video source used to make this featurette, but I wanted to confirm this isn't a problem with my copy.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Went and ordered the original R2 PAL release. Looks pretty good. Shame about the R1 SE transfer especially when "First Contact" just got stellar reviews....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks