What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: JFK - Two Disc Special Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
about the movie disc:
I have the previous (stand-alone) 2 disc release from the Oliver Stone Collection.

Does the new set contain the exact same disc 1?
My version has an animated menu that pulls out from Costner's glasses into a film-strip down the middle with menu options on the right.
The DD5.1 audio is encoded at 384kbps - is this the same on the new release or has it been re-encoded at 448kbps?

ScottR My copy has the 'audio pop' over the 'plane flying over the cherry blossom' shot. I am actually convinced it is a sound from the 2 characters talking in the plane as this dialogue begins over this previous external shot of the plane. During the rest of the scene in the plane there are various similar noises - which sound to me like a prop moving (like Costner's glasses, that he is fiddling with) or even a peanut being eaten. Not sure but I don't think it's a fault.

If anyone can confirm about the audio bitrate on the new disc 1 I'd be most grateful.

Cheers
Rich

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
This movie (and Oliver Stone's work in general) is not to everyone's taste, but I sure do love JFK. I think I'll pick up this new release just for the packaging alone, as I can't stand the 2-disc snapper on my current version. That'll be a triple dip for me on this movie! Thanks for the review Herb.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I don't think the "pop" is part of the soundtrack....it isn't on the LD.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Eric and all others who are itching to discuss the assassination and its aftermath: Since the fortieth anniversary is upon us please feel free to start a discussion (noncontentiously, of course) in the After Hours section. Agreed, the review here seems to invite debate about the subject, but, still, this thread is for talking about the DVD. JB

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
-----Questions:

I have the two laserdisc editions of this movie. Theatrical and Special Edition. Does this new DVD (and the older one for that matter) of the movie itself, contain all the footage of the movie as shown on the extended laserdisc?

Also, I thought the first DVD was NOT anamorphic. The new one is anamorphic. Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks