What's new

HTF REVIEW: "F U T U R A M A" Volume One (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Let me also give a big :emoji_thumbsup: to the packaging! I know that packaging is not the reason we buy DVDs, but it sure is a nice bonus to have it done so beautifully and intelligently. I hope we see a lot more of this, it works MUCH better than those burdensome fold-out deals like The Simpsons, Buffy and X-Files.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I love this show! I'd rate these DVDs higher than either of the Simpsons sets that are out.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I also was going to post just to comment on the packaging. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Superb!!

Not too mention that it fits perfectly with a well deserving series. I can finally throw away a season's worth of downloads. :D Any ideas on how fast they will get the rest of the seasons out?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just picked up the box set today. I find the show is pretty funny. I'm seeing a lot of these for the first time because it was almost impossible to ever find the show on TV, thanks to the POX network. At least FOX has redeemed itself a little bit, by putting out a pretty good box set. The package art is great. The disc cases feel a little flimsy. I found it was a little difficult getting the caseholder out of the slipcover. They should have had a couple of cutouts on the bottom the slipcover, so a person could get a hold of the caseholder easier. Great show though.

Few lines of dialogue from one of the episodes.

"Captain, we need your help."
"Whatever it is, I'm willing to put wave after wave of men at your disposal..........RIGHT, MEN!"
(silence)
"YOU SUCK!"

"We can definitely escape, Bender.....All you have to do is pull the door off this steampipe."
"HEY, YEAH!"
(sounds of door being pulled, followed by steam and screams)
"Its no good....Its full of STEAM!"

EdR

Second Unit
Yes! I bought this last night, and all I can say is that the quality of this release, from the packaging to the image quality to the special features went way beyond my expectations!

The most surprising thing to me is the stellar image quality. This blows away the both Simpsons DVD (and Southpark Season 1) releases. You have to look pretty hard to see compression artifacts. There is some interlaced 'tearing' during scenes with a lot of motion (like fast pans) but for the most part it's incredible.

Watching the Simpsons DVDs on an 80" projected screen is a mixed blessing because the compression is easy to see, but Futurama is pure joy, solid saturated colors, lots of detail. Wow.

As others have said, the packaging is first rate. The amount of artwork is awesome, and the quality is top-notch.

I really feel like I got my money's worth on this release, and to have the first season of this great show preserved in such pristine quality is a nice feeling.

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, now I don't feel so bad about doing nothing last night except watching all 13 episodes in order. Thanks to the F@#X scheduling I had only ever seen 2, and had NEVER seen the first one. What a great first episode that is too, what a shame it isn't in syndication to the same degree as some other shows. Heck, "Mission Hill" and "Undergrads", which I understand aired for 6 episodes and 13 respectively, are on 4 nights a week, and have been for the last year here (yes, you can imagine how many reruns that is), but no Futurama for us canucks :frowning:

Man, it is great to have this on DVD! The surround sound is pretty darned good for something that was destined for television… not a whole lot of it, but what there is is effective.

The transfer is superb (as compared with watching it on our local Time/Warner Cable).

All, in all, :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Finished watching the set today...laughed my ass off...I love this show...and the packaging is uber coolness...I like it better than the fold out thingys...

EdR

Second Unit
This reminds me, has anyone looked to see what the bitrate is on these DVDs?

I've had my RP82 for a few months, but I never learned how you bring this info up, and I was tired and cranky last night when I was trying to figure it out.

It has the look of something lavished with bits, or possibly they are using some encoder specialized for animation...whatever they did, it looks great!

Steve Petrosino

Auditioning
Does this disk set have the music used in the ending credits alone and complete? I have been searching the web for an mp3 unsuccessfully. I found a file that is close, but no cigar.
Futurama could have been better. It could have been made in an OAR to fit my TV - my 16x9 TV.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Did everybody/anyone find the small Easter Eggs(1 on each DVD)

Movie poster parodies.

Really easy to find, just click to the right until one of the space cars highlights

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Did everybody/anyone find the small Easter Eggs(1 on each DVD)

Movie poster parodies.

Really easy to find, just click to the right until one of the space cars highlights
There are also some of these in the Scene Selection menus for some of the episodes. (At least there are in the R2 version. I haven't seen the R1 version yet, but from what I've heard the features are the same.)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Very impressive set, first DVDs I've gone out of my way to get in quite some time. I do love that packaging and hope it's something more companies look into. Very sleek.

Most of the episodes here are very choice. I burst out laughing every single time I watch that scene between Bender and the Grunka Lunkas in the Willy Wonka episode. The line "Ow, my sperm!" is also well delivered. ;)

Futurama was a great show that was just hitting stride when it got cut down. Such a pity. At least we have this amazing box set. I hope the rest of the seasons come out soon!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
a heads up.

tomorrow will be the star trek ep with everyone who was alive when they made the ep, in it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm...TV.YAHOO.COM says this Sunday's ep is the twice-delayed "Teenage Mutant Leela Hurdles" show, and not "Where No Fan Has Gone Before". Last minute change?

I guess TMLH will NEVER air, if that's true!

Scott Sherman

Auditioning
I believe that "Teenage Mutant Leela Hurdles" will air on Fox at 7pm Eastern and "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" will air on the Cartoon Network at 11pm Eastern.

I'm more than pleased with this DVD set. Bring on the rest!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
tomorrow will be the star trek ep with everyone who was alive when they made the ep, in it.
James Doohan (Scotty) wasn't in it. (Unless he played someone other than himself. I can't read the credits because FOX squeezes them over.:angry:). Isn't he still alive?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks