What's new

HTF Reported Attack Site (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I notice something missing now, though: the little thingy at the top right, next to the messages one and the notifications one, that tells you whether friends or staff or online.

No biggie, just wondered about it.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Part of this problem might be this dude here, tantrikji6. I've got a lot of HTF notifications of posts this dude is making that are clearly spam, posts that indicate he's from the middle east, too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
SWFF said:
Part of this problem might be this dude here, tantrikji6. I've got a lot of HTF notifications of posts this dude is making that are clearly spam, posts that indicate he's from the middle east, too.
That "user" was a spammer and is removed. But they only joined this morning, so their posts could not have had anything to do with the weekend's problems.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
There was a spammer similar to that one who was doing the same thing days before the site went down. Just sayin...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SWFF said:
There was a spammer similar to that one who was doing the same thing days before the site went down. Just sayin...
Spam doesn't cause that sort of problem, research Liquid Web and latest Apache release and you will understand.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ROclockCK said:
...or someone who left in a huff? ;)
...or in a minute-and-a-huff?!? :biggrin:

groucho-marx-4.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
I notice something missing now, though: the little thingy at the top right, next to the messages one and the notifications one, that tells you whether friends or staff or online.

No biggie, just wondered about it is all.
:laugh:

Just laughing because My Friends Online notification icon has had a strange history.

It first disappeared around April 22 of this year. I immediately notified Adam. His was still in place.

More than three months later (August 5th) it returned. According to Adam, nothing had been changed with the software to change this. And, his was still in place.

And now--just like Charles'--mine is now gone again!

What the what? Or is that Wot the wot? :biggrin:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My "friends online" icon is gone now as well. I've also had strange occurrences in the past. For about a week my "view new content" link was not working but then miraculously fixed itself.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I've solved the "friends online" issue by having no friends. Try it guys, it works :)
FoxyMulder said:
Spam doesn't cause that sort of problem, research Liquid Web and latest Apache release and you will understand.
I agree that this likely has nothing to do with recent spammers, nor can any malicious user just report the site and have Google automatically flag it as malware; reporting the site just means Google schedules an automated deep diagnostic run on it I believe.

As for Liquid Web being hacked, well if someone had hacked the server on which HTF resides, then you'd think they'd have done more than install malware which only appears on 54 out of over 9,000 pages.

Anyway again, just to be safe, yesterday I cleared my cache in both FF and IE, then changed my password. I suggest other people do the same, and we put this behind us. No site, no server, no service is completely hack or malware proof.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Persianimmortal said:
As for Liquid Web being hacked, well if someone had hacked the server on which HTF resides, then you'd think they'd have done more than install malware which only appears on 54 out of over 9,000 pages.
You would think so but can you offer a better explanation especially since every test done shows Liquid Web as using outdated server software, that of course is an open invite to be hacked and, my website, i have been running one for about ten years just like you, is on a server with up to date software. No firewall for a popular large site sure doesn't help.

Yes the friend button has vanished for me too.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
What better place to hide something like this, or make it difficult to find, than the legacy archived pages of a site circa '03/'04? I mean, who goes there? And how often?

Isn't it possible that this was merely a 'staging run' - testing the hack - for something ultimately intended to be much bigger? And that in the hacker's focus on security holes in Liquid Web's server*, they simply overlooked the flag which would be thrown up via Google...even from dormant pages?

I still think where this occurred is possibly a clue as to why...

* plus, by extension, any sites hosted on it.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I started having trouble 2-3 weeks ago but only on the TV on DVD/Blu-ray forum. It started showing up as "unavailable." I could get into the other forums as well as being able to click a link to a topic in the TVODVDBR forum, but I was never able to get into the forum itself. I powered down my computer, rebooted and didn't have a problem for a few hours. Out of the blue I started getting the "bad site" notifications. Everything's normal now, though.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
ROclockCK said:
Possibly a link to a Google image Koroush?

That would certainly be...uhm...ironic. ;)
Raising the earlier half-joke post by Steve above, it turns out that Google's own ad servers have been serving malware according to this article:

Google's Doubleclick ad servers exposed millions of computers to malware

I'm not sure if it's relevant to what happened at HTF, but it would be nice if Google put as much effort into shoring up its own network against spreading malware that it seems to do in flagging other sites for allegedly the same thing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Starting yesterday, I am getting the "threat has been detected" alert every time I visit the HTF main page.

Hope this isn't happening again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks