What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time May/June 2015 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those of you that like westerns and haven't seen Hombre, I highly recommend this film as I consider it one of the best westerns made in the 1960s. Paul Newman was excellent so was Richard Boone and the rest of the cast.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Patrick Donahue said:
And that, sadly, is why they named it Twilight Time :(

Wrong. It's because Nick Redman is a big fan of the Twilight saga...

Robert Crawford said:
For those of you that like westerns and haven't seen Hombre, I highly recommend this film as I consider it one of the best westerns made in the 1960s. Paul Newman was excellent so was Richard Boone and the rest of the cast.

Agreed, if you're a western fan don't hesitate to order Hombre.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Wow, what a group!! I'm in for Hombre, Night of the Generals, A Man for all Seasons, The Young Lions, and an overlooked but GREAT film, State of Grace (never thought I'd see this one). Now just need to get The Victors.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Robert Crawford said:

I caught the movie on Netflix, before looking up the 60's Mad Magazine satire, "Sombre". ;)

Which parody caught one of my favorite plot holes--In the climax, as Boone has Newman and the group holed up at the mining shack, Newman says, "he's sent a man around back, to cut off our escape route; we'll have to go through."

In the parody,

after Newman and the outlaws are shot, the group takes the money and moves on, but:

"I'll take that money, thanks."
"Who are you?"
"I'm the guy that was sent round the back to cut off the escape route--The writer forgot about me! The director forgot about me! The audience forgot about me!...But I didn't forget about me, now hand it over!"

:lol:

As for the others, Robert Shaw as a historically psycho-gangster Henry VIII in A Man for All Seasons is a scary combination of "The Tudors" and Doyle Lonegan--

And Absolute Beginners hasn't been mentioned yet as a stylized neon-80's London musical about postwar 50's Britain. Don't expect that most US audiences will get plot points about Teddy-boys, race riots, rock producers or the rise of advertising (and didn't, in theaters), but it's got David Bowie in his MTV prime:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Count me in for the Young Lions but Nick this Richard Basehart fan is still waiting for Moby Dick.

You know I am and still a big supporter of TT. I cannot tell people the enjoyment I have had from the films I own from Nick and company.

Not to mention as they say the great inside written info on each film which is not talked about.

To me this makes TT stand out above the other so called independent distibuter's

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
THE VICTORS, yes, but the following also, please:

THE WRONG BOX

THE MOUSE THAT ROARED

EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX...BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

SLEEPER

THE SNIPER

SONS AND LOVERS

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
ljgranberry said:
THE VICTORS, yes, but the following also, please:

THE WRONG BOX

THE MOUSE THAT ROARED

EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX...BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

SLEEPER

THE SNIPER

SONS AND LOVERS

Sleeper is out now from MGM. Under $14 at Amazon.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Absolute Beginners! SQUEEE!!!

This'll be my first TT title. Am I correct in thinking they must be ordered direct (like, not from Amazon, etc)? Also, how extensive are their extras, usually? This film in particular could really benefit from a no-holds-barred documentary...

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thomas T said:
While I bow to no man in my knowledge of cinema (my film collection goes from 1912 to 2014) and my mind is crammed with useless trivia on film, we can't expect everyone to be as knowledgeable on film. I've noticed many members here compartmentalize their interest (noir, horror, classic Hollywood, 80s trash etc.) or perhaps their age has precluded them from yet exploring the films before they were born. All of us at one time were "ignorant" of certain well known movies. Give the guy some slack.
Your post confused me at first since I couldn't figure out why it was directed to Robert. I had to go back a page to the original post where Robert quoted
something that has since been removed for obvious reasons. While I certainly tease some of the babies I work with about them not knowing some 1950's (or even 1970's) classic it is in fun since a lot of them weren't even born until the mid 80's.

My wife recently walked in while I was watching the last final court scene (10-15 minutes) of Inherit The Wind and she was clueless -- though she did recognize Harry Morgan, Dick York, and Spencer Tracy. She was quite fascinated by Frederick March's last speech and Tracy/Kelly's last scene even though she hadn't seen any of the rest.

ijthompson said:

This'll be my first TT title. Am I correct in thinking they must be ordered direct (like, not from Amazon, etc)? Also, how extensive are their extras, usually? This film in particular could really benefit from a no-holds-barred documentary...
The best and cheapest way to order in through www.screenarchives.com -- not exactly direct since TT is a separate company, but they are the (almost) exclusive pre-order website. No FS at any level which is sad at times, but no sales tax added in most states

shop.tcm.com also does (pre)orders, but at a higher price and can be unreliable for things that sell out prior to street date. For a while TCM was nice since there were often 20-30% discount codes and possible free shipping, but virtually none of the codes since November have allowed TT items. Sales Tax is collected from several states/

SAE used to sell things through Amazon Marketplace after street date (still higher price than direct+shipping), but apparently have stopped listing any of their newer releases over the last 6+ months though most of the older items are still there. You can use Aamzon credit and GCs, but I've never seen free shipping even with PRIME and 75% (and counting) of the country now automatically is charged Sales Tax -- if the rumored Radio Shack deal goes through that will almost certainly mean 100% will pay the same State Sales Tax as at B&M.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
David Norman said:
While I certainly tease some of the babies I work with about them not knowing some 1950's (or even 1970's) classic it is in fun since a lot of them weren't even born until the mid 80's.

I knew I was officially "old" when I mentioned Julie Christie to my nephew, who said "Julie who?". Not long after while playing a trivia game with my sister's goddaughter, she was stumped by Mick Jagger. She'd "heard" of the Rolling Stones but didn't know this Jagger fellow. At their age, I was soaking up classic Hollywood cinema discovering Charles Laughton and Bette Davis but then my priorities were different than theirs are now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There was so much hype & hope about Absolute Beginners, & a lot of head scratching after it opened, a very 80's movie, I remember that it felt like a lot of pop promos. It didn't do anyone's career any good. Night Of The Generals is on BBC 2 in HD next Saturday, I'll give it another go, I found it a bit boring the last time I saw it.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
So happy to get A Man For All Seasons. Twilight Time is jumping in with these wonderful big screen classics and I am overjoyed. Can't wait to order several Solomon and Shebas in future weeks for myself and like minded friends' birthdays. I hope they will pop in a few more of these in future, perhaps The Vikings, Story of Ruth, Boy on a Dolphin and/or Barabbas. We so appreciate them for doing this.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ijthompson said:

The extras on TT releases generally are not extensive. You will get an isolated score track and you will get a booklet with an informative and entertaining essay about the film by Julie Kirgo.

You will have to wait for it to be listed on the Screen Archives website to see if there are additional extras. As far as I can tell the only extra on the DVD is a still photo gallery. However, it is possible that Julie and Nick Redman will record a commentary track. The ones they have done in the past are very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks