What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Funny Farm/Spies Like Us (Double Feature) (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Strangely, Funny Farm has Warner Bros. newer moving opening logo that is seen on new releases, whereas Spies Like Us has the old 'static' one.

Probably because FUNNY FARM was very recently mastered -- HDNet Movies has showed it throughout the last year with the newer WB opening logo and the transfer is gorgeous (has to be the same master). SPIES LIKE US in comparison still looks very good but seems to have been done a bit longer ago.

Either way, thanks for the review. I was trying to figure out why only Amazon.ca had it listed!

There are some other good discs available up there at the moment so while I would never pay their s/h for just one title, ordering a group will make me go for it ;)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
To quote Marty's brother Dave at the end of Back to the Future: "When the hell did this happen?!" I don't mind heading to Best Buy but I will believe this when I see it. It'll be nice to finally own Spies Like Us - I skipped the full-screen DVD. Too bad they didn't bother with any extras but at this point, I'm just happy to get it in widescreen. That it's on Blu-Ray paired with Funny Farm is just a bonus.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Wow, had NO IDEA this was coming. WB promised OAR versions for these titles a few YEARS ago and now we get them, in HD no less. It doesn't bother me if they're BB exclusives, I have 2 stores within a half hour from me so I'm good. Thanks WB!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So has anyone found the "Spies Like Us" / "Funny Farm" BD double feature at a Best Buy in America yet?

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I went to two Best Buys here in South Florida... and nothing. Considering it's not even listed on their website, I didn't even bother asking.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I picked this up yesterday, as well as the Frantic/Presumed Innocent double bill and had a quick look at the discs last night.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable howls about how bad they look, but to anyone who actually went to the theatre frequently in the 80s, they look about right. The transfers are fairly clean and there doesn't appear to be any digital manipulation of the image.

Spies Like Us
and Frantic in particular can get very grainy, and there's a softness that's typical of 80s cinematography. They all look very film-like, which is the main thing for me, but anyone looking for HD "pop" in the image had better look elsewhere.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Worth

I picked this up yesterday, as well as the Frantic/Presumed Innocent double bill and had a quick look at the discs last night.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable howls about how bad they look, but to anyone who actually went to the theatre frequently in the 80s, they look about right. The transfers are fairly clean and there doesn't appear to be any digital manipulation of the image.

Spies Like Us
and Frantic in particular can get very grainy, and there's a softness that's typical of 80s cinematography. They all look very film-like, which is the main thing for me, but anyone looking for HD "pop" in the image had better look elsewhere.
were did you pick it up?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I bought them at Best Buy in Toronto. They seem to be everywhere around here, but I guess they haven't been released Stateside yet.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Like most other exlusives , this will probably be available on amazon USA, and everywhere else by April at the latest.Id even bet on it.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I watched Presumed Innocent last night. Looked great. Will get to Frantic this week. Will post review shortly :)

BTW I updated the audio stats at the beginning of this review. It's DTS 2.0 Surround. Ooops!

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Presumed Innocent/Frantic disc a couple of days ago. I am more than happy with both presentations. Both prints are very clean and grain is intact on both and a good level of detail. Huge step up from the DVD versions. I hope when I get Funny Farm/Spies Like Us (as soon as Amazon has them available) they will be as pleasing.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
HOPEFULLY Warner Brothers will announce a US release for Funny Farm / Spies Like Us VERY soon

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
picked this up at the local best buy today on my lunch break (and ponyo with the 10$ off coupon) it was listed at 24.99 but rang up 14.99, there were no signs saying it was on sale but it was in the new release bluray section (a couple shelves above grumpy old men two-fer)

Not a bad release day, 3 bluray films for 30, and I might pick up the grumpy old men on my way home and make it 5/45. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Someone over at dvdtalk in Cali (unless that was you) picked this up today too.
Guess I'll head out tomorrow to check my local.

John Stockton

Second Unit
What is the AR of "Spies Like Us" BD?? It was shown theatrically in 2.35:1.

Also the film had several 70 MM blow up prints across the nation with a six track discreet sound. I wonder why the BD does not utilize that.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Spies Like Us was never 2.35:1. John Landis has never made a film in 'scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.