What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 (Special Edition Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

I am getting this for Christmas, so you will know before I do, but I know it won't have the end credits. This release attempts to recreate the Roadshow release. I wish Disney would include the 1990 version in a future release, in addition to this one. It had less live-action footage, but contained Deems Taylor's voice. That's why I'm holding on to my vhs boxed set.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've watched and reviewed a bunch of movies since I did Fantasia, but I seem to recall a title screen after intermission. I'd have to check to be sure, and I won't get around to that until tomorrow unless someone with more immediate access can beat me to it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard
I am getting this for Christmas, so you will know before I do, but I know it won't have the end credits. This release attempts to recreate the Roadshow release. I wish Disney would include the 1990 version in a future release, in addition to this one. It had less live-action footage, but contained Deems Taylor's voice. That's why I'm holding on to my vhs boxed set.
Which VHS boxed set has Deems Taylor's voice?
Are you able to show us the cover?

f6f4c498_fantasia.jpg

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Toys R Us has it for $26.99. I'm having Best Buy (Reward Zone) do a price match + Disney coupon = $16.99.

Eric, that's the VHS box? It looks like my LD box, which I also will never let go.

Craig, the picture you show was the standard release. There was also a boxed set, which is what I have shown. It included a holographic picture on the tape, a certificate of authenticity, two cd soundtrack, a program, and another tape with the making of included.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It would be interesting to compare the narration between the truncated release and the "Road Show" version to see just how much of it had to be re-recorded. From what I understand, there were times when only a sentence or two were cut from each section. I miss Taylor's voice, as Corey Burton doesn't really sound like him at all.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Received my Blu-ray set from the Disney Movie Club today. I ordered it on the morning of the 19th, which is the day it went on sale to members, and I receive it four days after most members, and three days after it hits brick and mortar stores. I also paid about $11 more than what most retailers are charging. Nice work, DMC.

I've watched the feature. I'm impressed with the clarity and sharpness of the transfer, but the texture feels wrong to me. The colors are cold and metallic instead of warm and organic. It looks as if DNR has scraped away some of the emulsion. Or maybe I just need to get used to it.

I took a quick glimpse at each of the supplements and have no complaints about those that are included. Very impressive. Normally I don't concern myself with extras, but this is Fantasia, so I'm interested. I thought, when I bought this set, that I bought ALL the supplements that were advertised as coming with it. Nothing was said by the DMC in their offer about having to download the supplements. Indeed, the wording gives the distinct impression that all the supplements are included in this package. I feel cheated and seriously put-out that I have to download the other supplements. I can't do downloads, and have no expectation of being enabled to do downloads in the immediate future. This is a cheat.

Personally, I think the pairing with Fantasia 2000 is totally misguided. A world of difference in time, culture, technology and judgment divides the two films. I don't want Fantasia 2000 and I don't much like it. I'm not even going to watch it. It is not a popular film, to say the least. Disney is piggybacking the sequel on the reputation of the original. I bought this set for the original and for the supplements. There was no reason to include the sequel in this package. I would have preferred a definitive release of Fantasia including a second disc of supplements, as originally released, together with the related supplements mistakenly attached to Fantasia 2000 (the long awaited Destino etc), and an option for the original soundtrack with the voice of Deems Taylor even if it is damaged or otherwise imperfect. Customers understand about those things.

Disney Home Video and Buena Vista are going to hear from me. I have all their phone numbers and addresses, and they are going to hear from me.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
One other thing: it really is time to retire the "Fast Play" nonsense. Whoever thought up this button needs to get their collective head collectively examined. It is nothing of the kind, and all it does is irritate people.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Remember that FastPlay is designed for the "video babysitter" crowd, to which thankfully neither you nor I belong. It should be called SetItAndForgetItPlay, since that's really what it is.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

43f439e7_FantasiaVHS.jpg

Eric's is the deluxe VHS box, while Craig's is the standard VHS box. I had the standard before I got the Fantasia Anthology box (with which I will never part). I'll be taking a look at the BDs this weekend and will post my thoughts next week.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I still have the standard VHS kicking around I think. Is it the one that still had the closer to Deems narration?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Does anyone think the original soundtrack with the voice of Deems Taylor should have been included as an option? Isn't it better to include it as an option rather the default than to exclude it altogether?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Richard--W
Does anyone think the original soundtrack with the voice of Deems Taylor should have been included as an option? Isn't it better to include it as an option rather the default than to exclude it altogether?
It should of been. Disney releases are never warts and all though. You only get what Disney thinks is the best, at whatever cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks