What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 (Special Edition Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm thrilled to have 2000. It's one of my favorite animated features and I love the music used.

Especially glad to have paid about $14 for this with all the coupons that where out there.

I think the best solution would have been to present both the 1940 version and the 1990 version. Disney would have been honoring Deems Taylor that way by having his voice included in the film somehow.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard
I think the best solution would have been to present both the 1940 version and the 1990 version. Disney would have been honoring Deems Taylor that way by having his voice included in the film somehow.
Good idea.
Yes, that would make more sense than piggybacking Fantasia 2000 on the original.
Let Fantasia 2000 be a separate Blu-ray for those who want it, but give us a definitive Fantasia in both versions with the all the related and proper supplements including Destino.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W
Does anyone think the original soundtrack with the voice of Deems Taylor should have been included as an option? Isn't it better to include it as an option rather the default than to exclude it altogether?
The complete soundtrack of Mr. Taylor's narration does not exist anymore and has not since the film was cut by RKO after the original Roadshow release. The question has always been should Disney have not given more effort to find someone that sounds like Mr. Taylor to re-dub the missing vocal sections.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Your point is well-taken, ahollis, but I thought I read above that Deems Taylor's voice was on the earliest VHS release. If that's so, it still exists. Why can't that be ported to the Blu-ray?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W
Your point is well-taken, ahollis, but I thought I read above that Deems Taylor's voice was on the earliest VHS release. If that's so, it still exists. Why can't that be ported to the Blu-ray?
The VHS (1991) release was basically the 1946 version which did use Mr. Taylor's voice. That retained the reduction of a majority of the narration, but restored Toccata and Fugue , which was edited out when RKO took over releasing duties in 1941. The actual Roadshow version did not come along until it was restored (?) in 2000 for it's 60th anniversary, which voice actor Corey Burton re-recorded Mr. Deems complete narration.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thank you for clarifying matters, ahollis.
Now I understand.
So a soundtrack with the majority of Deems Taylor's voice does in fact survive.
Although his intro and outro for Toccata and Fugue does not survive.
If the majority of his narration can be put on the VHS, why not put it on Blu-ray as an option, and revoice only the small part that is missing? to preserve the original film as audiences originally saw it? rather than revoice the entire film?
Wouldn't you agree?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Once again, Disney makes me want to put all my Laserdisc versions in a climate controlled vault. At least you don't need BD Live to simply watch the extras.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Originally Posted by nealg
Toys R Us has it for $26.99. I'm having Best Buy (Reward Zone) do a price match + Disney coupon = $16.99.
Do you need a Toys R Us flyer for that, or can you point it out on the website?

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Originally Posted by Brisby
Do you need a Toys R Us flyer for that, or can you point it out on the website?

See the Toys R Us flyer here: http://toysrus.shoplocal.com/toysrus/default.aspx?action=entryflash&

It's the one on the bottom, right. Fantasia is page 21, bottom right-hand corner. I was able to select just that page to print (in Preview on my Mac--YMMV); it printed small, but BB accepted it w/no problem.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i did have to update my firmware to play this disk. sony s350 i believe. it hung after the previews and would not play the feature, after the update it worked fine though.

i was mad that i was forced to get dvds with my purchase. at best buy they had a 2 dvd set for 22$ and the blu ray with 2 blu and 2 dvds was $29. so does that mean our blu's are only worth $7? why couldn't i just get the blu's for that price? (sarcasm there)
but i do wish there had been a blu only package for the same 22$ as the dvds.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I would LOVE to be able to just get the Blu-rays -- for this and all other films. Take a look at Amazon-UK. They get that option. Isn't that a pisser?? I'd jump for that, but everything I looked at pointed to them being region-locked.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Add me to the list of people annoyed by the old extras being put up on BD Live and not on the discs. I live in the country and broadband isn't available here so I can't download any of these extras and I don't intend to move any time soon. I would much rather they got rid of those digital copies and gave the old extras a disc.

I guess I should be thankful that films are available to buy again. I missed out on the dvds and by the time I started shopping online Blu-Ray was on the horizon and I didn't see much point in buying the dvds since I figured the Blu-Rays would feature all of the extras anyway. I guess that was a mistake.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Today I got an email from the Disney Movie Club, pushing blu-rays that are "disappearing soon" and "going back into the vault." The titles are Pinocchio, Snow White, and....

Fantasia/Fantasia 2000.

What???

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Three days after its release? Beauty and the Beast came out two months ago, and it's not slated to disappear.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, the problem with the narration is that, when it was edited after the initial run, only parts of it were cut; a sentence here, a paragraph there. Although a great deal of Deems Taylor's narration is still extant (the Tocatta and Fugue intro included), if it were married to the Roadshow version, you'd have sections where you'd have it switching rather awkwardly between the original and a new dub. It would sound really strange. In order to not have this jarring result, they had to redub the whole thing. I suppose they could have used seamless branching to include the cut-down narration segments, but they wanted to release the film in as complete a version as possible. I can understand their reasoning. They should have gotten a voice actor who could mimic Taylor's voice, though.

I'm still miffed about the jettisoning of the wonderful extras from the DVD set. Grumble growl.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
Today I got an email from the Disney Movie Club, pushing blu-rays that are "disappearing soon" and "going back into the vault." The titles are Pinocchio, Snow White, and....

Fantasia/Fantasia 2000.

What???
Did it have a date listed? I'm assuming that Pinnohio and Snow White are going out of print in January but I'd guess that the Fantasia set will be available until at least January 2012 and they're just scaring/telling people that Fantasia is technically only available for a limited time.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No January this time. I think they said March 15th for all of them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
No January this time. I think they said March 15th for all of them.

That is wacky then. I get that they want to make it an event but it seems stupid to have it only available for 4 months. At least if it's available for a little over a year, they get to make money from it in two holiday seasons and more people have a shot to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks