What's new

HTF Anime Discussion Part VII (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Tony-B's the red-headed stepchild of the AAD. Easy to pick on, but in the end, you love him :).

...just be glad he and Rob Lutter haven't had one of their famous "discussions" in a while :D .

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
James,

That's why I don't do MMORPGs.

Todd,

Unfortunatly, I didn't really like Wolf's Rain. I'm still trying to figure out if I liked RahXephon...

Jason

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
RahXephon was an excellent series IMO. It had some slow episodes, but even those did a pretty good job of developing the characters. Episode 15 (I think that's the one, where...how not to spoil...Kamino gets in a heartbreaking fight) is one of the best episodes of anything I've seen, and the end of the series was just...awesome.

I've been meaning to get Wolf's Rain ever since it came out. Maybe when DDD does their sale I'll pick it up. I still remember seeing one episode on Cartoon Network. Another example of wonderful story-telling.

I'm not motivated here at work. Not too obvious, huh? :)

Todd McF

Second Unit
I've only watched the first 3 Wolf's Rain myself. Totally hooked - but with 27 episodes to go - who knows where I'll end up?

Don't fight Rahxephon. You loved it, you know it :) Seriously though - Evangelion is my all time favorite - but I'm not sure if I like it either. I figure if I'm walking around thinking about it afterwards I must have loved it.

Todd McF

Second Unit
James you've got to work on that motivation. I've got a deadline in three days and I swear I'll be no more than four days behind. Five at the latest, depending on the forums.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Motivation, schmotivation, bah! I'm taking tomorrow and Monday off because we're going to Arizona for my wife's brother's wedding reception (that's a whole 'nother long story that doesn't belong in this thread :)). I know I've got hours of driving ahead of me tonight and tomorrow, plus I'm still getting a buzz from picking up my midnight Star Wars tickets. Work...eh, it'll get done sooner or later.

Oh, and let me add a belated welcome to you Todd and the other new(er) posters to the group. For a while it seemed like it was just about 4 or 5 people who were posting here (I was only sporadic), but now we're a bit larger.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

Tony,

These are the series I'm currently collecting:

Maison Ikkoku - I am a big fan of Rumiko Takahashi's manga, and this is one of her best. This is actually an older series but it is being released on DVD for the first time (one 3-disc box set every 6 months). Volume 5 (out of 8) comes out in May. It is a contemporary romantic comedy (which I did not think I would like!) but the characters are so sweet and charming, the manga became my favorite Takahashi series, and the anime is very faithful to the manga. This is the only Takahashi series I'm aware of that contains NO fantasy element of any kind -- just real, human characters. I'm not a sentimental guy, but I got all choked up reading the last volume of the magnificent manga, and I hope the anime can live up to it.

Rumiko Takahashi Anthology - A series of short stories by the wonderful Ms. T. Volume 2 of 4 was just released. Are you a Takahashi fan, Tony? Please note, she has done a LOT more than just InuYasha. Some of the subtlety of the original manga short stories is lost in the translation to anime, but most of the appealing charm remains. Simply GOOD WRITING.

Samurai Champloo - Newest project by Shinichro Watanabe, director of Cowboy Bebop. It is a (light-hearted) samurai epic set in the Edo period (military dictatorship) but don't expect a history lesson -- the anime is full of anachronisms (such as one of the main characters, who fights using the Brazilian martial art known as capoeira, upon which break dancing is based) and it features contemporary, instrumental, Japanese hip hop on the soundtrack. Good characters, well written, and unbelievably cool. Volume 2 (of 4? or 7?) just came out.

Paranoia Agent - The first TV series by Satoshi Kon, of PERFECT BLUE, MILLENNIUM ACTRESS, and TOKYO GODFATHERS fame. All 3 of his films are magnificent, and this series lives up to my expectations. Like most of his works, this deals with the blurred line between fantasy and reality. A juvenile delinquent, named "Shonen Bat" by the press, goes around bonking people on the head with a golden baseball bat. The only problem is, he may or may not exist. Each episode introduces new characters -- practically the only recurring characters are the detectives and Shonen Bat himself. Totally amazing series, and I would agree with the others that this is the one to buy. The final, 4th volume comes out in a couple weeks.

Full Metal Alchemist - Fantasy series set in early 20th century (steam locomotives and 40s-era automobiles exist). Alchemy is treated as a science -- matter is transmuted into some other, more useful matter of equal mass. But this "Principle of Equivalent Exchange" is not only a scientific principle, but a philosophical one as well -- mankind cannot achieve anything worthwhile without sacrifice. You say above that this series "sucks". I would be interested to read your constructive criticism of this show. Volume 2 of 13 came out last month.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Prequel to the movie. Completely new story. I'm still on the first disc, so I don't have too much to say about it yet. Since this has been out for a bit, you probably already know about this one anyway. Volume 6 of 7 comes out in a month, and the 2nd season will be released later this year.

Wolf's Rain - Another series that started coming out last year, which you probably already know about. I admit I am a Yoko Kanno fanboy and all it takes is her name in the credits to get me to bite. Futuristic fantasy about the end of the world, and a pack of wolves (who can take human form) searching for Paradise. Final 7th volume comes out next month.

Cromartie High School - Very low budget (practically half the show is still frames) and short stories (2 eps per half hour) but the humor in this series is very unique for anime -- almost Seinfeld-esque or Larry David-esque. I give this a very high recommendation.

Chrono Crusade - Just started this, so I'll withhold final judgment until I've seen a bit more, but so far looks good. Horror/comedy set in 1928 Manhattan. Bored rich folks have developed a new thrill-seeking hobby, summoning demons from hell. Sister Rosetta is a young, beautiful, blonde, gun-toting nun/exorcist who, along with her demon ally Chrono, blows away demons with blessed ammunition.

I've heard very good things about R.O.D. - The TV, the sequel to the Read or Die OAV, which I loved (fun espionage show centered on old, collectible BOOKS). Have yet to see the TV show, however. Volume 6 of 7 just came out.

I have also pre-ordered the first volumes of Elfen Lied (horror, the title is German for "Elven Song") and Scrapped Princess (medieval fantasy) both of which have been spoken very highly of by fans who know such things. Both series begin next month.

I hope this helps!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

To be honest, I probably need to watch it again to pick up on aspects I missed the first time around. Maybe then, the ending will make some sense. :D

Seeing a music video for it at Katsucon, I already know that Elfin Lied is not for me. Not really a fan of a show with lots of people losing limbs and getting decapitated.

On the other hand, I really got hooked on Scrapped Princess. Looks like good stuff all around.

Jason

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
James:

Grave of the Fireflies is waaay too much for your 4-year-old. I would wait until she's older.

Todd:

Thanks for info on Yukikaze.

John.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
JohnAD - What I typed before was not greatly worded. I want to have my wife watch GotF with me, not my daughter. She (my daughter now) shows interest in anime in general. She's seen the first episode or two of RahXephon, subtitled no less :). She didn't know what they were saying, but she liked the pretty pictures. For a while, she'd go around like a dolem tilting her head back and opening her mouth like when they do their sonic attacks. I'm not really sure what the first anime I'll watch with her will be, or when for that matter. Probably still 2-3 years away at least.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
If I were a parent, Takahata Isao films from Ghibli wouldn't be shown until they were in their teens - preferably like 13+.

Grave of the Fireflies and Pon Poko are of a very different style from the usual Miyazaki Hayao flick. Most Miyazaki flicks are accessible at a much earlier age than Takahata's flicks - I'd say 7 or 9+. For Kiki, Panda go Panda, and Totoro I'd say 4~5+ or even earlier - nothing too startling or creepy there IMHO.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Thanks for the recommendations. She has seen Kiki and Spirited Away, though I doubt she completely understood some of the deeper themes/meanings of those films (more SA than Kiki). I'll probably take her to see Howl's unless those of you who have seen it are sure it would be inappropriate.

I do own Princess Mononoke (or Mononoke Hime just to justify my anime merit badge :)) but still have never watched it. Based on the trailers and all, it looks a little more intense than Spirited Away. Is it too much for a 4 1/2 year-old?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Wolf's Rain unfortunately was overshadowed by the success of Scrapped Princess. So, Studio Bones placed more money into SP over WR and you can just tell where the quality of WR went after a certain episode and the quality of SP went too.

JohnAD:

Yukikaze is a 5 episode OVA series. Only 5 volumes were released in Japan (I have all 5). Rumor has it that they are planning a 2nd set of OVA series with Yukikaze. So we shall see.

All:

Remember, Blood the Last Vampire TV series is set to come out this year in Japan! Woot! I hope Production IG gives a special boxset for their DVD volumes (I smell 13 volumes for R2...ugh).

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

Buy the book of Howl's Moving Castle, James, and read it. It is based off an English (not American) children's book. And you can determine if it is appropriate for your child.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
That is, "Howl's Moving Castle" is based on an English children's book. Mononoke Hime is nothing of the kind, and I'm not really sure I would show it to a small child -- a little too much blood, and some of the plot points are just a little too complex I suspect.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I do recommend Monster. This is a 72 episode series (of which like 52 or so episodes have aired in Japan already). Based on the manga, of the same name, the plot is about a Japanese young doctor, Tenma, who resides in Germany to learn to become the best neurosurgeon there is. His first morality as doctor came when a family confronted him about a patient that came in before the key figure he saved. He was supposed to take care of the family's husband/father but was called away to take of the key patient instead by the Chief Surgeon director.

He was supposed to take over as Chief Surgeon of the hospital but fell from grace when he decided to save a young boy patient, who was shot in the head and was in critical condition, over the mayor that also needed a neurosurgery operation. He saved the boy (because he remembered the moral dilemma of the previous family), but the mayor died. Tenma got demoted, and the spot for Chief Surgeon went to someone else. However, while sitting next to the boy in the hospital bed, he was angry with the demotion but happy that he learned what it means to be a real doctor of saving lives and not being subjugated to hospital politics and greed.

His mentor, and 2 of the top doctors, all of a sudden get murdered in the hospital, and Tenma becomes Chief Surgeon of the hospital. Yet, the murder case of the 3 doctors was never closed. 9 years pass and Tenma is still Chief Surgeon of the hospital, there is a slew of new murders, in which he finds out the killer is one of his patient he saved 9 years ago...the little boy. This little boy, who now is a young man, is coined as a "Monster" by the ones he kills.

And now Tenma faces a new moral dilemma again...the fact that he saved a serial killer's life. Is all life worth justified saving? Tune in to watch the rest of Monster. ^^

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Thanks again guys. I'll probably give Mononoke a watch first to make sure it's okay for Trinity. Based onn what Chris is saying, I'd probably hold off on showing her that one.

Kong, that Monster series does sound intriguing. Not sure I'd buy it - FMA is already a bigger commitment than I usually like to make - but I'd definitely be interested in checking it out at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks