What's new

HT Notice - Denon & Samsung - Have Equipment, Lost on Setup (1 Viewer)

j_m_d

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hey folks. So, my problem is rather first-world, in that I'm pretty sure I have everything I could possibly need, but am running into walls getting a decent setup, and could use some direction/pointers/graphs/faceslaps to get me going in the right direction. Here's my equipment list:

TV: Samsung F8500
Soundbar: Samsung HW-F550 (Came packaged with the TV) w/ Subwoofer
Receiver: Denon AVR-E400
Misc: Old Sony Theater-in-a-Box Speakers (Subwoofer, and 3 monitors are intact, but old)

Hardware to Connect:
Verizon FIOS Box (HDMI)
PS3 (HDMI)
XBox (HDMI)
Computer ([DVI-Out to HDMI for Video] + [TosLink for sending Audio])
Wii (Component)

Now, the Television has (4) HDMI Ins to use, but assuming one is used for ARC, I'm down to (3). That kind of sucks, given the number of devices I'd like to support, especially if I'm looking to add anything else on, and want to control everything without having to use an HDMI Switch.

So, while I was out and about today, I saw the Denon at Best Buy for $500. Checked online and Amazon had it for $300. Got Best Buy to Price Match, then used some old gift cards to get it down to $175. Feeling pretty good about that, overall. I guess (beyond being excited about the deal), what I'm trying to say is that the Receiver is a returnable component, if I can't get what I want, which is:

Ultimately, I want to get all of my components to feed into the (6) HDMI ports on the Receiver, and output Audio to my HW-550 SoundBar, and Video up to the F8500.

The problem is getting AV from the Receiver to the SoundBar, then to the TV. The SoundBar has (2) HDMI ports (1 In, 1 Out). I assumed that I would be able to run from the Receiver's HDMI out, to the SoundBar's HDMI In, and from the SoundBar's HDMI out up to the TV's HDMI In (I assume on the ARC port). I attempted this setup, but can't get Video to push to through (which would allow me to go through the Denon Setup Wizard).

I may be doing something wrong, or I may just have an expectation that's no feasible. I'm not sure that this is the most logical setup to begin with, and if there's not a better way to go about this. Any knowledge/direction/assistance would be greatly appreciated. If there are other ways to accomplish what I want, for the components provided, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

- Matt

j_m_d

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Mind you, I'm trying to use the SoundBar, and am more concerned about the number of available inputs that I have access to via the Receiver, noting that I hope to replace the SoundBar with a proper set of speakers in April/May of next year. I'm just trying to bridge the gap, and get the functionality I need at the same time, piece-mailing the solution together over time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

j_m_d

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Update: Vid's working; had to do with a setting on the soundbar. On to Audio.

Your question, Sam, is ultimately what I'm trying to get answered in my original post. I'm not sure if Audio Out, via HDMI Out, from the Receiver to the bar is feasible, or possible. I was hoping someone here might have a bead on the Receiver and/or particular bar, enough to know.

I guess I'm thinking that if AV both live on HDMI, what's to stop it from being possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks