What's new

HT noob with an OVERLOAD issue (1 Viewer)

Eric in CA

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric M
So I have a JVC rx-6030v receiver. The volume ranges from 1 to 50 (doesn't display actual Db).

- My left and right speakers are both Polk Audio rti a7's (Polk Audio - RTi A Series Technical Specifications)

-my center channel is an Energy C-C50 (C-C50 Center Speaker - Specifications)

- my rears are Polk Audio RM101's (RM101 Specs Page : Satellite speaker for front or surround use in RM Series systems : Polk Audio)

What happens is while playing the standard DVD version of The Dark Knight, at the part in the beginning of the film where the bank manager fires his shotgun at one of the robbers who pops up from behind cover, the sound shuts off and my receiver displays "OVERLOAD". The volume is set to 23. It's ok at 22 and lower, but whenever it's at 23, and at that very same instance, it shuts off.

So to try to identify the problem I disconnected the speakers one by one and the problem persisted. So I disconnected all my speakers (by removing the speaker wire from the speakers), set the volume to 23 and reviewed the same moment in the film. Even though there was no sound because I detached my speakers, the receiver still OVERLOADed!

I think I have a receiver that isn't that great and probably needs to be replaced.
Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Eric in CA

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric M
K I've fixed it.
I reset all treble and bass levels to 0.
I set the center channel to large (it was set at small this whole time
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
)
I played with the speaker wire connections.

Now I don't have this issue.
Thanks to this forum I was able to solve my problem. You guys rock!

claw27

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Lawrence
I am having the same issue with this receiver. I bought the receiver with speakers a couple of years ago. It has only been recently I have had this issue. I changed from the RC cables for audio to a digital coax for my blu-ray player. Ever since I have done this I get the overload when the volume is turned over 18. Do you think the cable I got is bad?

I do have a subwoofer and all speakers are set to small.

I have the issue playing both movies and cd's.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think a bad cable would cause that type of problem. If the cable was bad there wouldn't be any signal transfer or it might be intermitten but not what you're discribing.

I doubt this is the answer but when you changed from the red and white rca cables to the digital coaxial cable did you go into the players setup menu and change the audio output from PCM to Bitstream?

claw27

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Lawrence
Yes I did make the change but didn't stop the issue. I'm thinking the problem may be in my speaker wire for the surround sound. When I had the receiver hooked with just the RC jacks, the subwoofer and surround wouldn't work. Now with the digital cable, everything works but I started getting the overload error. The only thing I can come up with is bad wire for the surround speakers. What is the minimum gauge wire I should use? The speakers are 110W / 8 Ohm and the wire is awg20. I think this is probably my problem. I didn't pay attention to the wire, I just used what I had at the house.

The surround speakers are about 12-13 feet from the receiver but I had to run them up through the ceiling to hide the wires so the total run is about 24' for the wire.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
16g is the smallest I use. The reason the sub and surrounds didn't work with the rca jacks is probably because the receiver was in stereo mode and not sending a signal to them. You can try installing larger wire but I can't imagine that would fix the problem (but you never know).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks