What's new

How to size my screen? (1 Viewer)

improv

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I have a question about how to size my screen. I'm going to do a goo systems screen, but I'm a complete noob on how to do it. When I first turn on my projector (it's an Epson) I get the large blue display while the projector searches for a source. Should I paint my screen to allow this all to display on it? I realize that when I am watching HD, it'll be widescreen format and I will not use the upper and lower portions of the screen....but if I use inputs that are not HD, won't I want this extra screen real estate?

Thanks in advance!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Your screen size is determined by your seating distance and the resolution of projector. What projector is it? Do you want a 4:3 screen or 16:9? Do you watch mostly 4:3 or 16:9 material?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes, the blue area is the area that can potentially be filled by an image. A 16:9 screen will be filled with HDTV content. You will have black bars on the top and bottom for most movies and you will have black bars on the left and right sides for most standard definition content. Most people use a 16:9 screen ratio because it gives you a good bit of area for all uses. More complex options exist such as constant height or constant area setups but these require zoom capability on the PJ or special aftermarket lens systems that stretch the image.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There are rules of thumb for setting screen size given certain resolutions and seating distances. However, the throw distance of your PJ and its location determine the screen size.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

Keep in mind that, depending upon your projector, the blue display size probably means nothing. You can adjust the size of the screen by zooming the PJ's lense.

Ideally, you want to figure out what screen size you want (by the means others have suggested) and then zoom your projector in or out to fill that space, not the other way around.

improv

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks everyone for the help!

I pretty much have it set now with about a 72" screen size, which I'm viewing at about 15 feet. I have an older Epson Powerlite S4 projector. It does have a VGA/Component connector, so I guess that means that I can project at 16:9 right? I'm primarily using to display photographs to my clients. I have some ambient light issues that I'm hoping to fix with a goo screen and a blackout curtain....which leads me to another gazillion questions.

MP

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The native resolution of that projector is 800x600 but it can accept resolutions in a 16:9 format (but not up to HD resolutions). However, you will NOT be using all the active pixels of the PJ when displaying that image ratio (not optimal in terms of resolution or brightness). My other concern for you is that these PJs (meant for office use) do not care about color accuracy at all... just light output (for powerpoint presentations, etc.). If your photos are going to be critically viewed (clients, etc.) I would consider upgrading and go through a full calibration (grayscale, color accuracy, etc.) with the new unit.

improv

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Greg!

I realize that I'm asking a lot for a really lo-end projector, but the budget just won't allow for such a huge expense at this time. My photos have been displaying okay. I work from a color-managed monitor for my workflow and image selections are done based on pose and expression only. I know SO very little at this stage of the HT game that the investments I've made so far have been rather small and until I know what I really need and how to set it up, the equipment I have I feel is adequate. I certainly see that a better PJ would be in order. I'm trying to put the pieces together to allow for expansion and upgrades in the future. I'd like to be able to do a goo screen that would allow for the eventual upgrade to a real HD PJ. Do you think that this would be a good idea and just base the proportions on optimal size for my given viewing distance? I'm hoping that with screens and projectors, that one well-planned screen can be used by any upgraded PJ that I might have in the future.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

MP

improv

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Would it be reasonable to assume that one could paint a goo screen based on recommended viewing distance calculations while ignoring the actual projector being used? I would assume that a screen will outlast the projector which would be replaced or upgraded over the years right?

So, my question would be....should I just paint the goo screen and then make the projector conform to the screen dimensions?

Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The Goo system is just VERY expensive paint. Save that extra money and put it toward your projector. I would use "Behr" Ultra Pure White, flat finish, from Home Depot for the screen. Can you just paint the entire wall that your screen will be using?

improv

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike

I'm pretty convinced that the goo is better than regular paint...I do realize that it's expensive, but it's got qualities that really help with blacks and shadows, etc.

I could paint the entire wall, but I am not fond of the image "over spray" that you get from projectors (maybe just from my cheapie?) and would like to have some black, light-sucking paint around the perimeter of the screen area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks