What's new
World Wide Stereo

How to receive 5.1 signal over digital cable wire? (1 Viewer)

RussellTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me how you would receive a 5.1 signal over the coax cable line. I currently have digital cable and often for HBO movies you will see that they are presented in 5.1 format. However, my digital cable box only has left and right audio output. My receiver is an Sony STR DE425 which has the 5.1 inputs but I do not think in actually processes the signal. I think all that is done from my DVD player and the Sony receiver just has the inputs to receive what the DVD players sends it. That being said how do you get the 5.1 audio from your cable line. Do I need I new cable box or a new reciever or both.

Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Your will need to do three things:

Ask your cable company if they support DD over digital cable.

Get a new cable box from the cable company that has digital audio output.

Attach a digital audio (optical or coax) from your cable box to the receiver.

However, if your receiver does not support DD, you are out of luck. It should have the Dolby Digital logo on the front if it does decode DD.

Note: If your receiver does support DD, you can also hook up your DVD player using one optical or coax cable instead of the 6 analog connections. Many find the DAC's and bass management on the receiver superior to the DVD's. It also makes for a lot less cables to tangle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks