What's new
World Wide Stereo

How To Convert 5.1 to 7.1! (correct me if i'm wrong) (1 Viewer)

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
I just got done reading about The Poor Man's Surround Sound Setup. I was curious if i hook it up in the same way, only connected to the rear speakers, will it create the same effect as a 7.1 receiver. If I'm not mistaken DDEX and DTSES are matrix encoded into the rear channels. So if I were to connect the + end from the right surround channel on the receiver to the + on the "new" back right speaker and run a line from the + on the surround left speaker to the + on the back left the connect the two negatives canceling out the in phase signals and allowing only the out-of-phase signals to create instant 7.1 surround sound. ugh....right?

I need all the feedback i can get on this subject. I've been thinking about it for a while now (if you read my post about connecting a pro logic receiver to the surrounds).

Thanks alot and all opinions are welcome;) .

728x90

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I doubt that anyone here has tried this. The jump from a 5-speaker to a 7-speaker surround system is not such a huge step up that it's worth compromising the performance of the surround channels by forcing the amps to drive the extra load. Even the "poor man's guide" warns that:

This setup won't give you the same quality surround sound as an actual surround-sound receiver, of course. But assembling a homemade system is a great exercise for understanding how analog surround sound works in the first place.

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
I tested it. On my receiver the phase is shifted again when decoding it. When the center rear speaker is connected it plays everything that was in-phase on the original recoding. So basicly it combines both of the channels into the center an taking the stereo effect you get without the extra speaker hooked up. Make sense?

Thanks for the reply, it was woth a try

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks