What's new

How to best spend my buddy's money? (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys. I'm helping my buddy with his home theater. He's building the addition onto his house over the next few months it will be finished. It's not dedicated HT, he'll have a wet bar, windows... etc. Not the perfect HT environment, but that is what I have to work with. Here are the dimensions of the room

28 (width), 17 (length), and 8 ft. ceilings. Now I'm sure it would be better for HT to make 28 the length instead of the width, but the layout of the room won't allow it, where he has everything set up.

So my question, what is the best way to spend his money? He has about a 3500 dollar budget for receiver, speakers, sub, DVD player. This is what I have picked out, but I want to make sure this is the best way to spend his money...

Onkyo DS797 $820 shipped
Panny RP56 $225 shipped
PSB Image 5t fronts (b stock) $550 shipped
PSB Image 9c center (b stock) $310 shipped
PSB Image 10s surrounds (b stock) $510 shipped
PSB Image 1b rears (b stock) $220 shipped
SVS 20-39CS with Amp $775 shipped

This is basically what I have picked out. Estimating costs for the most part. Getting B stock from yawaonline to save quite a few bucks. What do you guys think?

Can I spend there money more wisely? thanks alot for the help!!!

Jim

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not one to give suggestions, as I'm no expert, but what is your buddy's budget? That's the number 1 thing people will ask with this sort of thing...

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I have the Panasonic RP 56. Built like a piece of crap but plays wonderfully ($199 at Best Buy). Look at Axiom speakers...outstanding for the money at: http://www.axiomaudio.com You can buy an 85x5 Parasound HCA-855A power amp for under $350 at Ubid.com. My SVS 16-46PCi was $625 shipped (the 20-39PCi is about $575 shipped right now. If you go with a Denon 3802 receiver for about $800, that leaves you with about $1500 to spend on the Axiom speakers. I think he would be extremely pleased with this setup.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle, it's in the post, about 3500.

Bill, thanks. I'll check out those axiom's. More sound out of those and the Denon than the PSB's and the Onkyo for that big a room you think?

thanks again!

Jim

Bill Polley

Second Unit
A buddy of mine has 2 different rooms of Axioms. I think they are great. (unfortunately, my wife says I am not in need of new speakers because of my new amp, processor, and SVS sub). The Denon alone should be great also. Others here have had improvement adding a separate amp to the Denon, but that can be done later. Without the added Parasound amp, you can get by under $3000 and have a very nice setup (in my opinion). I have always regarded Denon as a step above Onkyo, but others here will feel the opposite. Your best bet is to check them both out and buy which ever your buddy likes best. Hope I helped.
By the way, I read another thread where someone asked about the Axiom subs. From what others have posted, they are not as impressive as their other speakers, and I love my SVS.

Bill

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I would get Axioms as well, or Divas. Paradigms at Canadian price. But PSB is a good option as well. I'd get the Stratus series though, at least for the front end. I think yawaonline has b-stocks of the Stratus as well. You could save a couple hundred by subbing the Denon 2802.

The RP56 is a good unit, but the RP82 will be out in a couple weeks and will have DVD-A and several other features at the same price point. Of course, if his situation is time critical, that isn't an option.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I'd place another vote for the Denon. If I had to do it again that's what I'd buy. I happen to own a complete Stratus setup and I think it is great but I hated the sound of the Image series...downright muddy compared to many speakers. I haven't heard the Axioms but they sure look nice...I'd consider getting a package from them along with the SVS sub.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
If I were you I would go with this set up:
Denon 2802 or 3802=600-800shipped
SVS 20-39pci=575.00 shipped
Swan Diva 4.1 setup=1300.00 shipped
Panasonic RP-91=450.00 shipped
That would be one tough to beat home theater system for $3125.00 shipped!

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
i like the axiom/denon combo (though i still haven't purchased either)- i'm only speaking from thorough research. though, this is a moot point as i've yet to hear the combination. as for the denon, where could i buy the 3802 for a decent price (and still have the warranty coverage)??? are there any authorized sellers that will match internet prices? thanks in adv.

p

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for all the help! I'll check out those swan diva 4.1s. Where can I find out about them? I'm really liking the Axiom packages they offer.
You guys really like the Denon over the Onk? I'm an Onk man myself (898) so of course I"m biased :) this might be a good oppurtunity to spend his money on the Denon and compare the two in the same set up at his house one day.
thanks again for all the help!!
Jim

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
What you've selected (PSB+Onkyo) is an excellent system. The other suggestions are great as well... your buddy will need to audition and decide for himself. I seem to recall a problem with the 700 series of Onkyo receivers... you may want to research that a bit before making a purchase!

You didn't mention where you live but if it's in Canada (or close by) you can save a good bit of money by purchasing there...

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Posted by Jim : I'll check out those swan diva 4.1s. Where can I find out about them?
Hi Jim. I work for AV123.com the exclusive distributors of the Swan Diva line. I don't want to sales pitch or anything...I'm just here to answer your questions :)
You can find them at www.av123.com . If you would like to hear them, go to Audioenvy. That's a site set up by owners of Divas who 'register' as hosts out of the kindness of their hearts. I did quite a few before coming on board with Mark and Steve at AV123...it's a lot of fun and you get to meet new people into your hobby (not to mention showing off your gear).
We also have package prices available...take a look at the site or give me a call...oops...sales pitchy sounds here...I better duck out :D
Seriously, call me or have your buddy call...just to talk about audio...even if he/you selects other speakers, I'm always glad to help out...being an enthusiast for a long time now and owning Divas nine months before working here give me a smig extra credibility than your average sales guy(I hope hehe).
Regards,
Sean

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
$3500
outlaw 1050 $350 used on audiogon.com
Totem mite T center $200 used on audiogon.com
Sony or Toshiba dvd player $200
Sherbourn 5/1500 $900 used
Axiom or GR research rear surrounds $300 used
Dynaudio 1.8mkII $1800
Radio Shacks $200
$3750 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks