What's new

How the BFD changed my life. (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
After thinking my sub was doing a pretty good job in my HT for the past 5 years, I finally decided to pick up a Berhinger Feedback Destroyer and EQ it. The sub is Paradigm's entry level PDR-10 powered 10" sub. For years I thought it sounded good but it was lacking a little in the low end dept. Little did I know I was in for a surprise. I made a disc with 1/6 octave test tones and ran it to chart my sub's response.

I don't know what frequency the white noise calibration on the Video Essentials DVD is but it would be interesting to know. I calibrated my sub to 85dB using VE but the only place in my readings where the noise was audible and the sub was close to 85dB was 125Hz. (All my dB readings are raw numbers before the Rat Shack meter adjustments are calculated in.) With the receiver's volume set at reference level (speakers at 75dB and sub at 85dB), a 22Hz tone read at an unhealthy sounding 92dB and quickly rolled off to an even more unhealthy sounding 67dB by the time it reached 16Hz. The specs for the PDR-10 list the low frequency extension @ 27Hz. My reading at 28Hz was 92dB. At 31.5 Hz, I was getting a reading of 97dB before hitting 110dB @ 63Hz and finally topping out at 112dB @ 71Hz. This was followed by a quick roll off down to 63dB @ 143Hz. After a few hours working with the BFD, my sub now reads 66dB @ 16Hz and climbs up to a peak of 93dB @ 36Hz, followed by a slow trickle to 67Hz @ 143dB. I'm going to work more with it this Saturday but I don't think it's going to get much better than that.

I used to think I was getting good sub response and fair low-end but the truth is most of what I was hearing and thinking was the low end of the LFE spectrum was actually between 45 and 80Hz. When watching movies I never listened at reference level (usually about 5-8dB below reference) and if there was some really low bass, it was either inaudible or my sub made a lot of flutter noise trying to produce the low frequencies and sounded like it had asthma.

After EQing my sub I've decided two things.

1. The BFD is one of the best upgrade investments I've made to my HT.

2. I need a better sub!!! :)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
seems like you have tamed your house's 80hz bump. . . My last house had such a huge bump around 50-80hz that I finally sold the house. . . Even with EQ if I cut the bump and boosted the 20-30hz area I found the bump came back. In oder for me to get real 20hz bass loud enough to hear that 50hz bump came back. . . Now thankfully my house is flat as a bisquit. . . Now I enjoy a flat response down as low as my PB12-Plus/2 will go and thats pretty low. . . I am hearing stuff I never knew existed before. There is much more real low bass on DVD movies than most people think. . .

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I sold my house when I changed jobs and moved away. . . By sheer luck the house I have now does not suffer from the same ailment.

I sure wanted to sell it though mostly because of the problems I had with it. However given more time I am sure I would have found a solution more suitable than selling it.

After re-reading my post I could have chosen my wording better. . .LOL. . . No I did not sell my house because of it. . .

Eric C D

Second Unit
I agree wholeheartedly that taming your bass room response is as important as getting a great subwoofer. We need to make sure this message gets out regularly! My SVS got my bass response LOUD, but it wasn't until I eq'd it that I could really hear/feel the truly deep stuff.

P.S. Get a couple of SVS B4 subs, and you could probably make any house "flat." (or at least open all the windows permanently) :D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Guy, you should have just kept quiet and let everyone keep thinking you’re the most serious die-hard audiophile who ever lived. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks