What's new

How "realistic" is finding your "Holy Grail?" (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have to admit, all of my real "Holy Grail" titles have been released; but there are some obscure ones I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have, though they aren't holy grails:

I'd love to have a Twin Peaks box set on blu, along with FWWM.

I'd love to have Wild Palms.. Kathryn Bigelow (Hurt Locker), Oliver Stone, in one of the most crazily shot, hard to follow yet radically different shows I've ever seen..

But most of what I really want I have. Wonder Years with all original music would be nice. Hell, even Parenthood (the current series) with original music.. but no way that happens.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Lessee now --- Harry O -- Thought it was coming, but got just second pilot. It's got a chance. Maybe. Slattery's People -- Slim just caught the bus. The Great Adventure -- The earth will stop spinning on its axis first.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Hi, I’m a long-time reader but first-time contributor to HTF. Thanks to you all for the fun discussions on HTF. My “grail” shows are: Mannix Cannon Barnaby Jones Simon and Simon Spenser: For Hire Father Dowling Mysteries Diagnosis Murder Alas, because of music rights, lawsuits and poor sales, it seems the chances of any of them seeing the light of day (or further light, as the case may be) are pretty slim. Glenn

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd say slim to none. My very top "Holy Grail" show is the '60s Batman. All appearances are this will come out only when all the copyrights expire and/or holders of various rights die. At that point I'll probably be gone too and will no longer care, as will almost anyone interested in purchasing/watching the program. A "everyone loses" scenario which seems to affect many HG type titles. There are several others I'd like to see which approach HG status but they, too, are not likely candidates due to many rights issues. Like GaryO I'm amazed that there's a chance of O&H coming out uncut and the full run.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
There are a handful of shows which spring to mind which are my Holy Grails, but those which are at the top of the list are Knots Landing, Midnight Caller and Simon & Simon.

Knots may sometime down the line be unstalled and the third season (and hopefully beyond) is released as a Warner Archive title.

Midnight Caller I'm not sure about at all. Was a lot of music played in the show? I believe it hasn't been shown much in syndication since it finished in 1991 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Simon & Simon I hope continues on Region 4 as there may not be music clearance problems in Austrailia.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary OS /t/315477/how-realistic-is-finding-your-holy-grail#post_3860586
There are a handful of shows which spring to mind which are my Holy Grails, but those which are at the top of the list are Knots Landing, Midnight Caller and Simon & Simon.

Knots may sometime down the line be unstalled and the third season (and hopefully beyond) is released as a Warner Archive title.

Midnight Caller I'm not sure about at all. Was a lot of music played in the show? I believe it hasn't been shown much in syndication since it finished in 1991 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Simon & Simon I hope continues on Region 4 as there may not be music clearance problems in Austrailia.

[/quote]
I'm in for more "Knots". That one's going to see more sets imo.

What's one definition of a "grail" show here? For me, one of them is "rewatchability". I picked up Combat! Season 5 V1 and I went thru a few episodes before I knew what happened. It won't be long before I start that series over for an encore.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

What's one definition of a "grail" show here? For me, one of them is "rewatchability". I picked up Combat! Season 5 V1 and I went thru a few episodes before I knew what happened. It won't be long before I start that series over for an encore.

I can't speak for others, Jeff, but rewatchability is definitely one of the factors for me when considering shows that I put in the "holy grail" category.

Gary "don't worry about my sports pick - it's rock solid and you have nothing to worry about in spite of the minor hiccup from last night" O.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
One other Holy Grail would be Filthy Rich. Great sitcom that could not find an audience. The first pairing of Delta Burke and Dixie Carter.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Hank. Not seen anywhere since leaving NBC in 1966. Not a very good show I know from the few I've ever gotten but I loved it as a child and its so, so rare. None of the TV archives even have as much as one color episode. Maybe someday Warner Archive will get around to it.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Mel Brooks "When Things Were Rotten" short lived 70's TV series. Keep seeing on-again, off-again rumors the last few years, but nothing definite yet. The Andy Griffth series "Salvage 1" The early Universal color musical "King of Jazz"(1930). I doubt ANY of these titles will ever see the light of day.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Albert71292 said:
Mel Brooks "When Things Were Rotten" short lived 70's TV series. Keep seeing on-again, off-again rumors the last few years, but nothing definite yet.
Neil Brock said that the main reason was because CBS looked back on the series, and realized how painfully bad it was.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
vnisanian2001 said:
Neil Brock said that the main reason was because CBS looked back on the series, and realized how painfully bad it was.
Since when does a tv show have to be "good" in order to get a dvd release?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Maybe not to whatever fans this show has, but to the company that owns it. You've heard the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure" right? Well, for CBS and their opinions on this show, it appears to be the exact opposite.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I have a VHS tape that I found at a local Goodwill store containing 3 episodes of "When Things Were Rotten". It was a Paramount VHS release. Sid Caesar and Dudley Moore were the guest stars on 2 of the shows. Did Paramount put the whole series on VHS? Also...one of my holy grails would be a release of the TV-movie "Killdozer".

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I guess the 66 Batman is the only one i have left, for Holy Grail shows. I would also buy The Fantastic Journey. Who knows, i have Quark, and Police Squad on DVD...so i might see FJ! I would of also bought The FBI, The Man from Atlantis, and The Hurculoids if they had been PRESSED disc releases. But, those are not Holy Grail, for me.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I tried to be very selected as there are quite a bit remaining, but this is where I stand on my "grail" titles: the few ones stalled, waiting a re-release or hasn't seen that shiny disc yet. Danger Bay - C'mon... classic Canadian television! Early Edition - CBS/Paramount cleared the music on the first two seasons, just waiting on the same for the final two and the inclusion of the Rod Serling ending to "Hot Time in the Old Town". The Fall Guy (Markie Post years with the original broadcast music) Quincy, M.E. (the last five seasons and a re-release of Seasons 1 & 2 on single-sided discs with the original music) The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1980 TV-movie remastered) A&E's Live by Request: Phil Collins - Not impossible as one DVD producer told me, but there would be high music costs and the fact that "live concert" DVDs tend to underperform in sales. Roswell - There's solace in the fact that they were able to clear all of it for TheWB.com but what does this mean for DVD? I think it'll be a long time, if ever, before we'll see it revisited. It remains my one-and-only pipe dream. Due South (remastered with non-syndicated episodes... but knowing Alliance probably never) Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place (with the original broadcast music, period) Jake 2.0 (with the music intact) Legend - There's one song by Crash Test Dummies that needs to be cleared. Barring that, what's the hold-up? Peacemakers - Now, not so much. Flash Forward (1996) Mysterious Ways Promised Land (and the final crossover episode with Touched by an Angel, "Vengance Is Mine") Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - 'nuff said. Beyond 2000 The Next Step Oliver's Twist - It could be packaged in the same way Capital Entertaiment put out Jamie Oliver in Oliver's Twist 2; two more 15-episode, 2-disc set volumes, and the series would be completed. But in light of a different DVD producer (on this forum) who told me sales of both Shout and Capital's releases sold poorly, it doesn't look promising. What's currently on my shelves that are considered holy grails (this may not be a complete list, I'd have to check): Star Trek: The Next Generation, MacGyver (including a separate release for the two TV movies), Nowhere Man, the complete and remastered Jeremy Brett Granada Sherlock Holmes, the first two music-intact seasons of Early Edition, a re-release of Sports Night, and a remastered Road to Avonlea with the opening credits restored (the first four seasons have been released to date).

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
At least four of those shows (Roswell, The Fall Guy, Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place, and Dobie Gillis) are owned by Fox. Fox did a terrible job on Roswell (they made no effort in securing original broadcast music), and I used to believe that Fox is not to blame for the Dobie Gillis hold-up, but now I believe that they are. They have made no effort whatsoever in trying to get the rights from the Max Schulman Estate, and I doubt they have made any effort in getting the rights to release Batman on DVD. Regardless of how Two Girls turns out on DVD (original music or no original music), there's a good chance that the earlier episodes may be slightly recut to remove all references to the words "and a pizza place" from the opening credits. Keep in mind that the show changed its title later in the run. Fox needs to get its head out of its ass and stop holding back its pre-1990s shows. To anyone furious at Fox for doing this, I suggest you keep bugging them constantly. Maybe then, they'll get the hint.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. Guys, some of your "Holy Grails" don't sound so rare. It seems that somebody, somewhere has copies of them, at the very least on video, so you can eventually see them. As for "my" Holy Grails, I can't seem to find anybody who has ever "kept" copies of the Fall Previews, Network Christmas Specials, and such. But I must keep hoping. Oh, also to add to my list the 1988 and 1989 NBC Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the unaired episodes of Spy Games, Salvage 1, and only once shown episode of Young Maverick. See my shows are rarely rare. James

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My holy grail is the rest of St. Elsewhere. The wording of the op is "finding" the holy grail. You can't find a DVD if it doesn't exist.

LCD22

Screenwriter
vnisanian2001 said:
At least four of those shows (Roswell, The Fall Guy, Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place, and Dobie Gillis) are owned by Fox. Fox did a terrible job on Roswell (they made no effort in securing original broadcast music), and I used to believe that Fox is not to blame for the Dobie Gillis hold-up, but now I believe that they are. They have made no effort whatsoever in trying to get the rights from the Max Schulman Estate, and I doubt they have made any effort in getting the rights to release Batman on DVD. Regardless of how Two Girls turns out on DVD (original music or no original music), there's a good chance that the earlier episodes may be slightly recut to remove all references to the words "and a pizza place" from the opening credits. Keep in mind that the show changed its title later in the run. Fox needs to get its head out of its ass and stop holding back its pre-1990s shows. To anyone furious at Fox for doing this, I suggest you keep bugging them constantly. Maybe then, they'll get the hint.
I've been the most vocal on the way they handled the Season 1 release of The Fall Guy and have been adamant about Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place being released with all of the music intact, we're of course taking about Fox here, but that's the original title, and excuse me, but who says the opening credits for the first two seasons will get changed to "Two Guys and a Girl" upon DVD? I've said before and I'll say it again, if it takes a complete series set to offset the high music costs (think Ally McBeal), do it. It's not a quesiton of how it will turn out, the original music that is in Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place/Two Guys and a Girl is irreplaceable. It's also my all-time favorite comedy, don't even try to f**k it up. If you want proof how insanely popular this sitcom is, ask Gord or Dave. Or bring up Ryan Reynolds, Traylor Howard, or Nathan Fillon to anyone and they'll likely remember that show about a pizza place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks