What's new

How "realistic" is finding your "Holy Grail?" (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by smithb

Same here. The Avengers with Emma Peel was the first ever TV show I bought on DVD (back in 1999). It was another 8 years before I jumped in with both feet and really started a TV DVD collections. And of course when the ultimate Avengers set came out in the UK last summer I just had to have it as well.

Avengers is not really a grail series to me, but it would be nice if those rumors I saw at the Steve Hoffman forums concerning a blu ray release of the Emma Peel years came true. I have the Mega Peel set now and it could use some upgrading plus more compact packaging.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Steve...O said:
Avengers is not really a grail series to me, but it would be nice if those rumors I saw at the Steve Hoffman forums concerning a blu ray release of the Emma Peel years came true.  I have the Mega Peel set now and it could use some upgrading plus more compact packaging.

I recall people discussing the possibility of a bluray release at the time. I'm happy enough with these remastered DVD versions over the 1999 release. However, I'm not fond of the coffee table style books they like to put some of these collections in for release. It didn't take much to get me to move them to 10 standard cases holding 4 disks each. Not only is it the entire Avengers collection but it takes up less space then my original Peel years of the old set.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have been looking forward for a release on dvd and/or bluray of "12+1" (1969) starring Sharon Tate, Vittorio Gassman, Orson Welles, Vittorio De Sica, Terry Thomas and Lionel Jeffries. Admittedly not that great a comedy, based on the same Russian folk tale that was made into a movie the following year by Mel Brooks as "The Twelve Chairs" with Ron Moody -- it is pretty much a small scale "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" with people tearing apart chairs looking for hidden riches -- still, Sharon Tate was sensational in this movie and I never forgot it or her. I think it may be public domain by now (it was released in the US by Avco Embassy in 1970) and has been out of print on home video since the mid 1980s -- I have that, but it would be great to get a widescreen version of it as it is very much a swinging 60s kind of movie and has a very groovy music score by a famous Italian composer (not Morricone) that mixes the usual harpsichord with 1969-era discotheque music. I don't think even the Warner Archive could grab this, but if they could, it would certainly match up with their other Sharon Tate titles "Eye of the Devil" and "Don't Make Waves"

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I've been thinking lately how much I would love to see a late 60's series called THAT'S LIFE, which starred E.J. Peaker and Robert Morse. It was an hour long sitcom, drama and musical, a combination for television unlike anything before or since. I managed to see the first episode at the MT&R, but the rest are left to my ever fading kid memories. I don't know who owns it, but it stands no realistic chance of ever coming out. I don't think it ever aired again after it's initial run so I doubt even collectors have many samples. It's truly a lost artifact of a very interesting and innovative television experiment.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
That one sounds very interesting, Glen. I would have only been an infant at the time so I certainly don't have any memories of it. But it does sound like something I'd like to see.

Gary "so many shows, so little time" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Knew there was something else which is a Holy Grail of mine, an early 1975 show called Khan!, which starred Khigh Dheigh in an uncredited lead role.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Any update on "General Electric Theater?" Every epispode was remastered and presented to Nancy Reagan more than a year ago.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Well, the one I thought I would never see - USA Network's Duckman - finally did get released (and a complete set, too, although I am not 100% convinced that these don't have the time cuts added when the episodes were moved to Comedy Central).

My top ones at the moment:

The Phil Silvers Show - too bad DVDs didn't exist when reruns of this show were more popular.

Animaniacs Volume 4 (the last 24 episodes) - if it hasn't been released by now, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Other than those two, the only title I can think of off the top of my head that isn't on the production schedule somewhere isn't exactly a TV show - it's a "deluxe edition" release of The Simpsons Movie (from what I have heard, the extras included with the original release don't even scratch the surface).

Les Nessman

Auditioning
Real Name
Cheye Cheye Rodrigweez
WKRP. Complete and uncut with every note of music. Probability: 0.5% Now, if you'll excuse me, the city's about to be taken over by a giant lizard, and I must flee.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Les Nessman said:
Now, if you'll excuse me, the city's about to be taken over by a giant lizard, and I must flee.
I think the "B" is stuck on your keyboard again.... but yes, i'll buy the complete wkrp set the day it's available for pre-order!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There's one legendary music/variety show I'd like to add to my personal list- one that ran for decades and has new-found populairty again thanks to PBS reruns and specials and yes, a continuing gag on Saturday Night Live: Ladies and gentlemen, it's The Lawrence Welk Show! OK, it's a guilty pleasure, but it's the closest primetime TV got to having classic MGM-style musical numbers each week (aside from The Carol Burnett Show). The stumbling block would be music licensing, otherwise I'd be in hog heaven watching the Lennon Sisters, JoAnn Castle, Myron Floren, Bobby and Barbara/Cissy/Elaine, Mary Lou Metzger, Joe Feeney, Arthur Duncan, Anacani, Tom Netherton, Jack Imel, Norma Zimmer and all the rest!

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Year by year box set release of all of those great ABC, NBC Made-For-TV movies and movies of the week from the late 1960's thru the 1970's. Unrealistic? Yes. But I can dream can't I? :D

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
A good number of those early TV movies are out there in PD form. On the other hand, major studios like Universal, Fox, Paramount and Warner Bros. did put out 90-minute and 2-hour telefilms. At the Warner Archive you can get classics like Bad Ronald, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, The Stranger Within and others. Perhaps someone will from one of the majors will adopt your idea and put out a decent boxed set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks