What's new

How Many People Here Collected Film(Super 8,16mm, etc.)? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
While posting on another topic elsewhere in this forum, I was reminded of the days when I had a small but cool 16mm film collection. Before that as a kid I collected old Castle digests of horror films like FRANKENSTEIN on Super 8. Is film collecting a common experience to the folks who post in this forum? OAR and the quality of home theater hardware and software have made film collecting less practical than ever. I would never go back to the days of having to splice film, rewind reels and thread projectors, bulky equipment, heavy film cans, storage problems,etc. But there is something magical about a projected film print that I miss.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
From my previous days working at a movie theater, I have a bunch of 35mm trailers.
The oldest one that I have is of Scarface.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I started with Super 8 and 16mm in the mid-1970s. Moved up to 35mm in the early 1980s. Stopped actively collecting a number of years ago - space being the primary reason. When we move to a larger house, there WILL be a 35mm setup installed!
But there is something magical about a projected film print that I miss.
This is why I hang out with a bunch of active 35mm collectors, we screen stuff every week. Tonight, it's Forbidden Planet in 35mm CinemaScope and Perspecta-Sound!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have literally hundreds of 35mm trailers from the past 10 years I worked at movie theaters (I'm out of the business at the moment but hope to get back in someday.) I have a few defective reels of features, like reel 1 of "Independence Day" with a black splotch on the side and reel 5 of "Payback" that turns completely blue for a few seconds. I've got a complete 5-reel print of the 1976 classic "Tunnel Vision" too, which was shown at a drive-in June 1976 according to the film can labels.

I've got 2 16mm projectors at home but haven't been able to find a lot of stuff to show on them. The most interesting thing I have is 3/4 of a "Hawaii 5-0" TV episode. I've got a Super 8 sound projector but last time I got it out the sound wasn't working.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have a few 16mm trailers I scored off ebay: Zardoz (surprise, surprise), 5 for The Swimmer, In Cold Blood, and acouple other I can't remember. Still haven't seen any of them as I don't have a projector. I had considered that the only way I may be able to get copies of some of the films I want to own would be on 35mm theatrical prints - but I don't have a projector for that either. :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Last night's screening of Forbidden Planet was fantastic! We didn't have the Perspeca decoder working - so the sound was mono - but I've never seen the film have such rich color before, it makes the current DVD and the past LaserDiscs look pale and washed-out. This was an early-1990s print and looked great on the 14-foot-wide 'scope screen. The "Monster from the id" sequence was genuinely frightening! Next week - 55 Days at Peking in Technicolor...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Stop it, Peter--you're makin' me jealous!

For what it's worth:

I used to have one-quarter ownership of a 16mm CinemaScope print of--drumroll--2001: A Space Odyssey.

At 16mm, the framing was off a bit. And the sonics came courtesy of a monophonic, optical soundtrack.

We managed to procure the MGM lab print on the, um, grey market, from a contact of ours at the studio.

During that time, one of our group also owned a gorgeous 16mm print of The Day the Earth Stood Still.

About the 2001 print: Quite frankly, I much prefer screening the current anamorphic DVD to watching the 16mm mono print.

By the way, Peter: I've seen Forbidden Planet in 35mm before. What an experience.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone, I got a question for you.

I picked up a 8mm projector a few months ago (just for the hell of it) and I'm wondering what kind of film would be available to play on it?

Was the 8mm format mostly used for "home movies"? I just want something that I can test this thing out with.

That same day I had the chance to get a 16mm projector, but it was too heavy to carry home, so I passed on it. But, I'm sure I'll be able to find another one. What kind of stuff can I find on 16mm?

Maybe also, if someone could point me in the right direction for where to get a film for these projectors, that would help.

Thanks.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Back in the mid 80's when I was working for Allied-Signal I had the chance to get FOR FREE 2 35mm projectors that were less than a year old!!!!! My late wife (God bless) told me, and I quote:

"No f'en way those are coming in my house!!!!"

I should got'em and hid'em! I still have my Super8 Sound stuff tho and some Reg. 8 as well. I used to film a LOT of concerts I went to..have footage from The Tower Theater when Bowie recorded his live album on the Diamond Dogs tour!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Darn Scooter, you shoulda :)
I have some friends with 35mm prints I'd love to screen, but unfortunately we have nowhere to play them ;(
Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Darn Scooter, you shoulda :)
I have some friends with 35mm prints I'd love to screen, but unfortunately we have nowhere to play them ;(
Jeff Kleist

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

The best place to look for films would probably be eBay. 8mm and Super 8 releases were usually digest versions of horror and fantasy films, lasting from 8-18 minutes depending on the size of the reel(200'-400'). Some public domain films were released as features(NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, WHITE ZOMBIE) and a few studio owned films(THE QUIET MAN,KING KONG,THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE are a few that I remember seeing). I hear that there is an english company making gorgeous feature length color Super 8 prints of Hammer films like HORROR OF DRACULA and supposedly this same company is going to make licensed feature length prints of the Universal Horror classics from the '30's and '40's. As far as 16mm is concerned, nearly every film ever made has been available in 16mm because this is what television used for years as well as the Military for their film viewing and airlines for showing on airplanes. Alas many of these prints are in sad shape and the color is usually faded or pinkish because of the stock used. But there are some film collectors who have gorgeous mint prints with IB Technicolor; if you look on eBay you'll see some of the good and the bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks