What's new

How important to buy from authorized dealer? (1 Viewer)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering how you all feel about buying from non-authorized dealers. I know that when buying from authorized dealers, you are getting the piece of mind of warranty, but in the cash or certain products, like refurbished receivers, the warranty from authorized dealers vs. non-authorized is minimal. Authorized dealers give 90 day warranties whereas you get either no warranty or a 1 year warranty through the dealer (as opposed to the manufacturer).

Alternatively, what about buying used off of Audiogon.com?

I am currently looking to buy a reciever and am evaluating my options of where to buy.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I had the exact same question about three weeks ago. :)

What it boils down to is your wallet and your penchant for gambling/taking chances.

When you buy from an authorized dealer, you pay a little more but that buys you the peace of mind that if something is wrong or goes wrong with your new toy, that you're covered no matter what.

OTOH, if you buy from an unauthorized dealer, you'll save some bucks up front, but you may or may not have any recourse should the thing blow up within the warranty period. Some "unauthorized" dealers are better than others about honoring the manufacturers' warranty period AFA repair or replacement goes. You'd have to go by either personal experience or word of mouth that way.

I was prepared to pay the full $1K MSRP on the Denon 3803 I purchased. Was going to buy it from Crutchfield. (love those "free" catalogs)

Anyway, then I stumbled across this thread here where 6Ave.com is letting the 3803 go for the price of the 3802; $648! Whether or not that deal is still on, I dunno. Someone is gonna get pink-slipped when Denon finds out though. But their loss is our gain. ;) I have already ordered one and am waiting on it to ship...anyday now, 6Ave. :rolleyes

That said, even if the 6Ave deal falls through, I will pay the money and get it from an authorized dealer. When you're talking $500+, what's a little more for the peace of mind that if it breaks, you're covered? My $.02.

Good luck. :)

*edit*
Oh, about Audiogon. IMO most of the stuff on Audiogon was "adult owned" meaning it was most probably well taken care of.

Not to say it's impossible to get ripped off, but when someone posts their real name, home phone and pics of the item, says things like "one tiny scratch on the front but it works perfectly" and invites you to call to discuss if you have questions, it's a lot more legit than "[email protected]" on EBay. Know what I mean?

When the time comes for me to buy outboard amps, I will most probably go w/used from Audiogon.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
My feeling is, I would always buy from an authorized dealer unless the unauthorized dealer's guarantee is superior or if I lost the money it wouldn't matter (i.e. $100 item). I bought my HK from an unauthorized dealer (Costco) because their policy is, if I am dissatisfied for any reason, they will refund my money. I even paid a little more than the same item at jandr (an authorized dealer). By the way, the product failed on me after a year of use. I returned it and ordered another (newer) model. It cost me $50 because the newer model was $50 higher in price. So far no problems.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I nearly always buy from authorized dealers even though that has cost me some over the years. Not as much as you'd think, though, if you are patient and can wait for sales or closeouts (meaning you won't have the latest and greatest). Or sometimes used or demos.

I guess it depends on how breakable something is likely to be. A power amp (non-tube) should give years of uninterrupted service; a preamp/processor (with many switches, connections, etc.) may not.

About Audiogon - at one time, before the internet, I bought and sold stuff through Audio and Stereophile magazines, and a dedicated publication called Audiomart, which listed only audio and audio-related items. The phone was your only contact with the seller. I liked that. If you do go the Audiogon route and call the seller, be certain to have your basic questions in mind (write them down!) before you call!

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
When you decide what you want check into the manufacturer's policies. Denon for example will not honor the warranty on anything not purchased from an authorized dealer. Personally I like buying locally whenever possible. I don't have anything against buying online or from a catalog but I really like to be able to see, hear and feel things when before I buy them. You can only tell so much from pictures, there's really is nothing like having a piece in your hands and feeling the weight, pushing buttons and turing the nobs and making it perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks