What's new

How does one turn RG-6 into usefull stuff? (1 Viewer)

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Being the clever, but illogical thinker that I am, I decided that it would be MUCH more economical to buy 500 ft of RG-6 and then terminate it appropriateley and use it for audio, video, coax, bnc, and basically everything. My problem is - the only thing I know how to terminate it in is threaded F-type. This forced me to buy little F to RCA converters for each end of all 12 runs of RG-6 (carrying component video, audio, and such) and now it's not so economical anymore. Is there an easy way (read: easy, that means NO soldering :)) to terminate RG-6 in RCA or BNC connectors?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i assume you've bought the cable already...this is only an example but such products exist from other places too, such as Canare and no doubt others. To be truthful, I think you ought to invest in proper tools to do the stripping and crimping. Make some cables for your friends and get back some of the cost.

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys - these are exactly what I was looking for. But damn! They are $$$ expensive $$$!!!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Now you know the meaning of "what price glory". While you can try and get away without stripping/crimping tools, having them makes for a much more secure and properly made connection. But if you ever need to run a 40' rca for a sub, you'll find that might be your only choice.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Parts express is a rip off if you ever want to return something

I bought alot of stuff from partsexpress in the past month. The products were fine but if you ever want to return anything, they'll screw you over. I did not see any 25% restocking fee on they're website, but it was written on the back of my reciept when I got the package. They over charge on shipping products, I bought a IEC plug for $17 and the shipping was $10!!! You have to pay for shipping both ways and take the 25% restocking fee. What a freaking scam.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I like to use the stuff at www.centerpin.com because it does not require "special" tools. Don't get me wrong, I have the special tools as well. I happened upon the centerpin stuff when I misplaced my crimpers and have never used them again.
Just like you I have hundreds of extra coax sitting around and I have been know to use it to tie down stuff on my truck. ;)
I like Part Express.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks