What's new

How Does GoodRX Work? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Even though I have Medicare and an RX supplement, I still have occasion to use it. Recently I fell in the the black donut hole and an RX that would cost $10 or $15 was going to cost over $80. GoodRX got it down to $30. I remember a controlled painkiller that I needed after surgery and it wasn’t covered at all. It was going to cost $100 or so, but GoodRX got it down to under $20. One thing it doesn’t help much with is inhalers. I’m taking Trelegy for my COPD. It would normally cost me $40 but with $80 last time and will be $150 or more the next time. Donut Hole again. Using GoodRX it would be $585.37 which is about a $100 discount. Nothing to sneeze at but my donut hole co-pay is better.

How does GoodRX work? How do they get drug makers to discount so much? The damn thing is free. Who’s making money off GoodRX? And why are inhalers so immune to discounts?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Best as I can find out is they use several methods.
They do sell advertising, they do use/sell at least some or your data they collect on you to 3rd parties -- how much and exactly what is harder to say.

A lot of the savings they get you are by joining/attaching to multiple large groups (PBM) of insurance customers who have already negotiated with teh Pharmacy Companies/Manufacturer to provide Med X at a large discounts. It's very much like Blue Cross or Aetna giving mega-companies with huge discount on Insurance premiums compared to Joe Smith who goes to the Insurance Company and tries to get an individual policy with the same benefits except GoodRX is apparently affiliated with a dozen or more of these PBM

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I seem to thin that there are two options: the free one, and the "registered" version. The second one (if I recall) gives better discounts, but you give up information to get it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I seem to thin that there are two options: the free one, and the "registered" version. The second one (if I recall) gives better discounts, but you give up information to get it.
I think there’s a Gold option, and there’s a mention of 30 days free.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
From what I can see, the free version just links you with coupons available from the manufacturers (sounds similar to how Honey works for online shopping).

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Best i could get from my reading is that the premium worked in the same way, but with a wider selection of items and possible some higher discounts. I think the free version is much more than just coupons though that's at least part of it. There appear to be some substantial direct discounts from the manufacturers included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks