What's new

How do I remove this bathtub tap? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've got a leaky bathtub faucet. I know the hot water tap is the culprit, as I can temporarily stop the leak by turning it harder than I'd like to. The tap has a decorative cap on a long screw, but when I remove it, all I see is hole. I was hoping there'd be a screw under there I could try to tighten.

IMG_0569_zps34a950ea.jpg

IMG_0570_zpsd8ff6583.jpg

IMG_0571_zps91a7345c.jpg

Anything from this point, I'm turning off the water. I was a little scared just taking off that rose. I want to be careful, because I'm not sure how much I could service this tub if something went wrong.

Can anyone tell a brand from these pictures?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
You should be able to take the handle section off with the top removed. Might just be stuck a little from being on there awhile.Might have to pry it up being careful not to scratch the counter top.Looks exactly like the faucets on our old bathroom sink, once screw is removed, handle comes off.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a local Mom & Pop type hardware store you can go to. Not Lowe's or Home Depot, but someplace where people actually have some knowledge.

I've had odd plumbing situations over the years, even brought in pictures like you took and they knew exactly what to do.

Your problem sounds pretty simple to fix, just need some guidance in getting the right parts.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't even try to pull it up for fear of the water gushing out. I may turn it off tomorrow and give it a try. I've got some good plumbing stores around here so I could try showing them the pictures if all else fails.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There should be a water on/off knob under the sink for each faucet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't know then. I still think it should pop off with slight effort but water off just in case. Also house or apt/condo? Isn't here an access panel near the faucet? Houses usually have a main spigot that will turn the water off inside the house somewhere Also more pics with better perspective

JohnnyDee

Auditioning
You need a small puller. Ask at the hardware store. Trying to pry it off will most likely not work and could damage the knob and/or tub.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It may share it with the sink, but I just went ahead and turned off the water outside. It looks like I'm going to need that puller, as I'm sure not budging it on my own. Thanks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The faucet puller worked. Slightly tightening the nut seems to have stopped the leak. The stem looks like it should maybe be replaced eventually. Now that I see it's easy, I can get some better knobs.

The cold tap came up easy without the puller. It looks to be in good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks