What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping Help Please (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

Sam,
New Gladitors is the name.
Julie,
I actually ordered it because I saw it in one of my serachs and remembered your mentioning it, but forgot wether you said it was good or not. :)
I actually ordered I Zombie and then deleted it from my order to put in a different title. Damn I should have gotten it as it sounds cool, screwing plates to one own body kind of reminds me of the Guy in Frankenhooker putting the drill bit in his head. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Julie K

Screenwriter
Max,
Slaughterhouse isn't bad. It's just a little light in the ol' blood-n-guts department. Buddy's a cool character though.
I, Zombie also has another memorable scene, but you guys will be wincing far more than I was. Your mommas all told you not to do that anyway
laugh.gif

And hey guys, are we getting flamed in that Maniac thread or what?!?
eek.gif

------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I know! It's really ashame how a contrary opinion sometimes generates name-calling. I haven't seen Maniac, but I can tell you that all of the insults make me more intent on seeing it.
And Max, I am sometimes such an idiot.
blush.gif
Well, sometimes *more often*...) I should read posts more carefully. But I am at work, and must secretly and quickly monitor this forum... LOL
laugh.gif

------------------
Best, Sam

Julie K

Screenwriter
Sam,
Be sure to check out the "Gallery of Outrage" (or something like that) on the Maniac disc. It's a series of newspaper and radio excerpts condemning the film.
But none are as bad as one of the last posts in the Maniac thread trying to say those who like Maniac would like a series of real murder images. I'm still so mad I can't trust myself to respond directly.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
After all the recent controversy, consider Maniac my next purchase. :)
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
But none are as bad as one of the last posts in the Maniac thread trying to say those who like Maniac would like a series of real murder images. I'm still so mad I can't trust myself to respond directly.
Julie --
I couldn't agree with you more, and I wholly support you. It is uncalled for, and unjustified. There is no way anyone can intrepret a liking for this film with anything that low. Again, I often wonder why people can jump too such conclusions.
------------------
Best, Sam

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hey Folks -
Well, all this talk of Maniac has brought to mine the Home Theater Talk contest to *win* Maniac. LOL
laugh.gif
As Maniac fans in arms, I heartily urge that you all signup! LOL
laugh.gif
Plus they've got an *ongoing* win-a-DVD contest. You win the drawing, you get to choose a DVD. How cool is that?
Check-it-out...
http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004080.html
[Edited last by Samuel Des on September 22, 2001 at 04:28 PM]

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I have'nt purchased much lately because of my budget....yet had to pick up a few titles,even on VHS! for low prices jst to check 'em out ect.....
Finnally watched Suspria & all i can say is WOW-it looks amazing in widescreen + the transfer & soundtrack are great as well. I could never see all the color's & see how beautifu the movie looked from the previous faded extreme P&S'ed version on video. A real eye opener! btw-does anyone know for sure if theres a few seconds missing from the opening murder?
Also got The Beyond L.E. which is a great set + much better(of course) than the Diamond Entertainment edition.So it's worth the $$ & i had to pay full retail to! One question-where is the Fulci interview? It wasn't listed on the menus.
As for my venture into VHS territory.....
Return of The Living Dead 3- Unrated, great movie + uncensored :) I got it since the R version's on dvd only-though i still may get the dvd eventually.
The Doom Generation-not exactly horror,but still a very bizzare,unpleasent & haunting + darkly funny experiance! Unrated as well.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2-found the original Media VHS for $1.99 & had to get it,since it has the kewl original poster/tag line & well i'm waiting til a better edition is released on DVD. Pretty good underated,wild & over the top(& disgusting) horror satire. Worth a look as long as you are open minded & don't except it to be like the original-it's not even close!!! I think Hooper did the right thing though,since he realized it would be impossible to make another movie that even has the same impact as the first & instead of making a carbon copy-he did something different.
I think i'll get the Maniac dvd soon. Probably just go for the regular edition to save some $$. + I think it is getting out of hand + ridiculous to how certian people are saying to put down anyone who likes the movie or similar themed films. If you don't like it,fine,but don't label everyone who does. The movies meant to be disturbing & unpleasent....not a "fun" killfest. So if you hate it for that exact reason,then the movie did it's job since murder is not fun ect & it never makes it look like anything else than just disgusting & cruel!
Think i'll also pick up te Elit edition of Nigh ff the Livng Dead when i go t teh mall tommorw since it's getting hard to find + is a great movie. Then i'm done buying dvds ect until i geteverythig worked out.
Soon i may finnaly have a budget worked out since i finnaly am getting in more hours at my new job & said goodbye to my crappy old job(don't work for non-union stores!!). So soon i can start spending just alittle bit more,but saving alot as well,since i'm planning on going to NYC next summer if i have enough + am accepted to a school out there. Hopefully things work out :)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to post a quick reminder about my Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood UNCUT campaign that I'm working on with a few other horror fans on.
We still have over a whole year or so to change Paramount's mind. They're considering releasing Part 7 on DVD with Commentary by the director, as well as uncut footage included on the disc, but not re-mastered in it. They say they may consider a re-release completely re-mastered and uncut in the future if that one sells well. I think if they're going to consider it, why not just do it from the start???
Even if you're not a Friday the 13th fan (i'm more of an Elm Street fan myself) if you could read a list of what's been cut from Part VII and could see some pics (one of the pics is used in my "Jason vs Paramount" banner) you would be turned into an instant fan, as I hear they are completely different movies Uncut (especially Part VII).
jasvparbanner2.jpg

You can go here to look at a couple of Uncut pics from part 7... http://www.angelfire.com/movies/jasonuncut/john.html
I urge ALL true horror fans who want to help us. We already have over 300 signatures and we'd have a lot more if people didn't say "my vote won't help". If an online petition helped get Wonka released in Widescreen, I think if we had enough signatures and hand-written letters, that we may be able to change Paramount's mind. Hope to see you all help out. Us horror fans have to stick together.
To contact Paramount, write to:
Martin Blythe
Paramount Home Entertainment
5555 Melrose Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90038-3197
Please show support by also signing this petition... http://www.PetitionOnline.com/UncutDVD/petition.html

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
The mail person just knocked on my door, and my jaw just DROPPED! My order (including Maniac, Salesman, Do the Right Thing, and Withnail and I) arrived in two days from TN to Illinois. (Shipping was $5.75.)
Ah... Maniac...
Service
On Thursday morning, I placed my order. Being stupid, I placed another order right after this, and asked them to combine the two. That evening, they sent me an email confirming both orders; confirming that they combined both orders; and confirming same-day shipping.
The logisitics behind this may be complicated; but I am relieved that I was able to save on shipping. Excellent Service!!
Shipping
EXCELLENT packaging. No complaints. The box was neatly taped, and the DVDs were bubble wrapped.
Price
Not bad. Dollar for dollar, they are competitive, beating out some merchants on some items. They have an attractive purchasing program. If you plan on purchasing more than a few DVD in the future -- and who doesn't LOL -- this may make your decision easier.
Stock
Very good. I found all of the DVDs that I wanted; other merchants had a few of these on back order.
Conclusion
My only other experience with online DVD merchants is with Deep Discount DVD (DDD). My overall experience with them has been excellent. They too have good service and packaging. Very responsive email. And they DO NOT charge before shipping.
However, they do not appear to be as well stocked as Digital Eyes (DE). Their shipping is also a bit slower. It took an extra business day to get my DVDs to get my DVDs "on the truck".
Digital Eyes shipped my in-stock DVDs that day. Honestly, if you need your DVDs within a short timeframe, and you'd like to make some dollars on your next purchase, Digital Eyes is a very strong candidate for your online merchant.
But both DDD and DE are very good to do business with, and are certainly VERY trustworthy. I am pleased with both, and will likely do business with both. Thumbs up all around!
------------------
Best, Sam

Julie K

Screenwriter
Theater of Blood
I picked up this Vincent Price movie a couple of days ago (I just can't resist $10 Midnite Movies) and had a great time with it. There's really no gore but a bit more blood than I would have expected in this type of film. It's not up to HG Lewis standards in the blood and gore department, but then again, it doesn't fall down to those production standards either
laugh.gif

Price is having fun in this role, hamming it up as Edward Lionheart, a hammy Shakespearian actor who has gotten extremely bad reviews from the critics. Things eventually get out of hand and Lionheart, along with a group of rather unusual fans, begins to kill off his critics in a Shakespearian fashion. But not to worry, everything is well explained for those of us like myself who slept through English literature classes. I've got to say, the Titus Andronicus bit was beautiful, just beautiful :)
If you like a little dark comedy, a few bloody killings, and a hammy Vincent Price, then run out and get this little treat today.
------------------
My DVDs
[Edited last by Julie K on September 22, 2001 at 10:07 PM]

M

MaxY

Hey Sam,
That is a nifty little link you posted there if I do say so myself.
blush.gif

I should warn that the Maniac Tin contest ends tomorror evening, but then there is still the Suspira LE/Opera Le contest as well as another.
BTW I got the Fulci New Gladiators in the mail today as well as a Demons/Demons II combo pack which leaves me with an extra copy of Demons.
I am a bit bummed that New Gladiators is a Troma DVD. While I like Troma stuff, they never go with 16x9 and rarely do letterbox transfers. Oh well.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I am a bit bummed that New Gladiators is a Troma DVD. While I like Troma stuff, they never go with 16x9 and rarely do letterbox transfers. Oh well.
Max
How do you feel about The Stendhal Syndrome? I just picked that up at BB was suprised by the Troma release of an Argento film. I already discussed the logistics of this on another thread, but what do you think?
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
It's listed on the feautures on the back of the Tin box & states...
Rare on set interview with Lucio Fulci!
I'm not a huge Fulci fan,but would like to check out the interview....& so far i'd say The Beyond is his best movie.
Maybe it's hidden on the disc as an easter egg? Though the only thing i could find was a trailer for Cat In The Brain. Also i remember dvdreview stating it was on the disc as well,unless it's a mistake??
As for school-i would've been in NYC right now,since i was accepted into the NY Film Academy-but they kept raising tuition(& it's only a 3 month course!) that it was impossible for me to keep up without going broke,so i skipped it for now until i have the $$. So i'm gonna try getting into Queens College instead which looks like awsome school(+ it'll be great to get outa MN!). At least i have more time to work on my script ideas-including a wild social/slasher satire & much more serious darker stuff when i get the chance to write 'em all down.
& as Wes said-don't give up with the F13th 7 uncut campaign. It may actually happen,so don't slack off. I'd love to see part 6 uncut way more since it's my favorite sequel,but Part 7's decent & is supposed to have some impressive gruesome stuff that was hacked out.

M

MaxY

Brad,
The Trama Tag on SS could not hurt it anymore then the movie's content did. I thought that was one of his worst and it was fitting that Troma got it.
As for the quality of the disc I believe they did letterbox that one but not 16x9 Enhanced.
Before Arnold was The Running Man...
New Gladitors
I watched this last night and I wish Anchor Bay had done it. I would have to say that the Running Man ripped of this movie and just inserted much better effects.
First the movie was creative in the storyline and content. They had some problems with computers time. Meaning at the time they had little idea of where computers were going. Imagine trying to make a movie about cars in 2001 when Ford was working on his debut line up. :)
For a Fulci movie I was surprised that i recognized a few of the actors, and not from other Fulci or Aregento Movies. :)
The place where this movie suffered the most is special effects. There was no CGI back then and computers did nothing here. They had to use models for futuristic cityscapes. They did some impressive work for the early 70s but this film was from the early 80's. :)
It did feature quite a bit of gore but not quite as graphic as what we have come to expect from Fulci.
Overall I would say if you have the chance to rent, do it as for buying it, not unless you get a really good deal on it. Troma does have sales from time to time so you might.
Cristina,
One New Gladiators they had interviews with Argento on Fulci and Fucli's Daughter. From the Argento interview all I was able to understand was that he was friends with Fulci and Fulci died right before they were supposed to start work on a movie together. Some of it I understood only because of previous knowledge of the content. :)
The interview with Fulci's daughter was more interesting though she is tough to understand.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

M

MaxY

Oh boy have I got one that any self-repecting Italian Horror/Gore fun should enjoy watching. Problem is I did not start watching it until late last night and did not make it all the way through it, but will finish it tonight.
Fatal Frames
Gore seems plentiful but not overly graphic or real.
Basic Story
A New York video director whose wife was recently murdered by a serial Killer dubed the Video Killer who would send copies of a video of the killing to the cops, is invited to Rome to shoot a video for an up & Coming Italian singer. The video killer starts striking over in Rome now.
Whats to like?
David Warbeck From The Beyond
Rick Gianasi from Sgt Kabukiman NYPD
Donald Pleasance from Halloween and Escape from New York
Linnea Quigly a True Scream Queen
Angus Scrimm from Phantasim
This movie is a tribute to Fulci and Argento by a young Italian.
It is not best movies and some of the acting is a bit lame but .... It will be fun for any that know the Italian Horror Scene. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Hi all. I know it's a little late to be jumping into the thread here - 16 pages WOW! - but I just wanted to chime in. For all of you who found Suspiria at a K-Mart - I'm jealous. I went to the one near me and they had a pretty crappy selection of titles and nothing like some of the stuff you guys have been talking about. As far as Suspiria goes, I haven't quite decided whether to buy it sight unseen. Over the years I have watched my share of horror films but now that I have an almost one year old daughter and a wife who isn't into the genre I have to be more careful of what I select. Also, I remember watching Romero's Season of the Witch when I was younger and expecting something like Dawn of the Dead; boy, was that a disappointment. I did just pick up Legend of Hell House - no gore really in the film but accomplishes what The Haunting (the more recent one) attempted to do without the huge special effects budget and to a better extent as well. One question for you experts out there: there was a movie where a group of people get trapped in a house. At one point, they try to saw through the door and one guy ends up putting the saw through his hand. Does this ring a bell for anyone? Anyway, sorry for the rambling nature of this post. I'll try to be more dead on
wink.gif
in the future...
------------------
"Wait a minute. Was she a great big fat person?"
My DVD Collection

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Max -- You need to update your HT equipment page on your website. Gotta love those Dharmans... :)
I caught Suspiria very very last night, and fast forwarded around. I first saw it on VHS, and this was my first time watching it on DVD.
The music on the DVD seemed to fade noticeably in and out. I'm not sure if this was intentional. Otherwise, I was very pleased with the quality of the picture. Compared to the quality of the VHS, this DVD is a revelation!
I also caught Maniac, but I think I'll wait to post until after MNF. God, I am a "slut" for football...
blush.gif
(No offense intended.)
------------------
Best, Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks