What's new

hookup question (1 Viewer)

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question on how to hook up my VCR to my system. I have a keenwood VR 507 reciever with my Cable box and DVD running into it using s video connectors and one cable going out to the TV. The cable box also has a coax out to the VCR but when I try to use that to record it does not seem to send any info. I know how to hook the VCR into the reciever but my question is how can I record.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
can you verify the path of the cable?

wall --> cable box --> vcr

that's how it should be setup.

then you tell the vcr to record channel 3 (or 4 or whatever setting it uses). then it simply records whatever you're watching on the cable? also, if you're timing your recordings you are leaving the cable-box on right?

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
The path is wall to Cable Box, S video from cable box to reciever, svideo from reciever to TV.

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew - probably a dumb question, but are you sure you ran the coax out of the cable box to the "input" on the VCR, and not the "output"? If you get those backwards, you will get no signal to record.

Also, you don't mention how you have your VCR hooked up thru the receiver. If that isn't done correctly, you will not be able to view the material even if recorded correctly. You mention 2 s-video sources in, and one cable out to the TV. Unless you own a S-VHS vcr, or are using a composite to S-video adaptor, you will get no video signal if running your vcr thru the receiver with only S-video out to the TV. In other words, the Kenwood can't "up-convert a signal from composite to s-video". Whatever comes in (composite, s-video etc.), must also go out to the TV.

Good luck.

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I checked to make sure it was going to the input. I checked the tape on another VCR because I currently do not have the output of the VCR hooked up. The cable box has an s video out a composite out and a coax out. I was trying to use th s video out to the reciever and the coax out to the VCR. My thought is that the box will not output two different ways at the same time.

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
The VCR is is connected to the Cable box using Coax. I use the s video from the cable box to the reciver and then out to the TV.

After reading the manual it sounds like I can try this, Using two s video to RCA adapters. I would go from the VCR to VCR in and from record out to the VCR. It sounds like in the manual that the reciever will output two signals. Since I have s video in I would need to use the adapters to get it out to thee VCR that only has composite.

My question now would be what is better, a seperate converter, or one of the Cables with s video on one end a nd RCA on the other. The cable seems the better route do to less connections needing to be made

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay, i must be missing the point of what you're trying to do.

if you're trying to record whatever you're watching on the cable-box, (and the vcr is connected to the cable box via the coax) then you shouldn't need any fancy wiring at all. the coax should do it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
then something is definitely wrong.

have you tried running the cable directly to the vcr, then the tv? that should help you determine if the tuner is working.

have you tried running the composite signal from the cablebox to the vcr, then switching the recording input? at least that way you'll know if the vcr can actually record.

i admit...it is bizarre...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Matthew,

I read all the messages over and over and I'm a bit confused (so pardon me if I'm missing something)...You've said that the cable comes out of the wall and into your cable box...from there you use the S-Video output (of the cable box) to go through your receiver and then to the tv...then you mention that you are using the Coax output (of the cable box) to go to the VCR...

My question is, where is the output of the VCR going? It sounds like you may be using the RCA outs and routing them through the receiver? or are you going directly into the tv? If you are...are you sure you are viewing the RCA input (instead of the S-Video) on your tv?

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
actually i was checking the tape on another VCR because I did not have the output hooked up at the time. Fortunatly I have figured it out finally. My question now is the recorded quality is not very good. I am wondering if usin the record out from the reciever would be better. I would have to use a s video to rca converter cable so I am not sure it would be any better.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks