What's new

Hoodia A Good Appetite Supressor? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
HEy all,

We where browsing the local Drug Fair Weight Loss department, and came across a Hoodia bottle. Has anyone had any good results trying this stuff? I've seen all the news reports about it on local NY stations and w as wondering if it actually works?

I'm trying to do the diet thing once again, and I want to get only 800 calories per day, and work off 500 of that daily... This would mean one lunch, and one snack around dinner time, but an appetite supresent, with possible energy booster would help alot...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
BAD idea. All those diet supplements are total BS. 800 calories a day is way too low. You will constantly be tired and weak, you'll be lucky if you can exercise at all. The best and healthiest diet is a low fat/high fiber diet. I'm eating that way now and I have about 25 pounds to lose yet. I also walk 1 hour total per day. The worst thing you can do is skip any meals.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Neil - I don't anything about diet suppressants. Nor particulary much about dieting. But dropping your consumption to 800 calories per day sounds like an unhealthy, crash diet to me. Some quick research online turns up the standard estimation of 2000 to 2500 calories needed for a mid-30s male, 190 lbs, lightly active. You're talking about less than half to one third of what you need.

I'm sure others can provide better information about your planned diet. :)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Hoodia has shown to be a successful supressent. There have been a lot of things going on right now with the drug including some high-brow pharm companies. Look it up (google) and you will see their current supply issues with the product.

Either way, try it and see if it works for you. Most of this stuff is crap, but blanket statements are never good and some alternative drugs coming to market these days actually provide some benefit.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Yeah, I thought that that might be a bit tad extreme in reduction of calories, but I'm having about 1500-2000 calories now, and doing 40 minutes of exercise, and it dosn't seem to be helping too much...

I've tried the limited e ating for two months a year ago, lost 15 pounds wich was probably water weight, but gained it back. When I read that it takes 3500 calories to burn a pound, it's amazing anyone looses any weight at all..

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It can be tough, and some people lose weight more easily than others. But consider this: If you cut 100 calories per day from your diet (700 cal) and exercise strenuously one hour (600 cal) three days a week, that's 2500 cal weekly towards weight loss. That's about 2.8 lbs per month. You won't set any records, but over a year, you could lose 37 lbs and develop healthier, long-term habits.

This is what I'm trying to do right now. Moderate my consumption, with a variety of foods, and still enjoy a pizza on the weekend. Exercise 2-3 times a week. And I'm seeing up to a pound per week loss. Once upon a time I was skinny with a high-metabolism; that may still work in my favor. But I know others with similar, or easier, success.

Search the forum on weight loss and exercise. A lot of knowledgable people have talked about this here at HTF.

(And I'm tempted by the "diet" pills. Maybe they're helpful. But I'm trying to change my habits, and those aren't a habit I want to develop. So I'll do it the hard way.)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Agreed.

Eat 3 healthy (low-fat) meals per day and exercise. I go to the gym 5 times a week, do a 2 mile walk and a 1/2 hour with free weights. Doing this has net me a 12 lb. loss over 3 months. A couple more pounds and I'm done then I just want to tone up. I don't count calories either. I just eat low-fat and healthy.

Don't do diets, they don't work. Change your eating habits and exercise, that does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks