What's new

"Holy, um, crap Batman!" 'Return to the Batcave'. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
So sad, so sad indeed. Did anyone else have the misfortune of witnessing this? I love the old series and was looking foreward to this movie, but it was just so lame and so badly executed I was shaking my head not at nostalgia, but at embarassment.

Adam West and Burt Ward just seemed pathetic really, and the cause of they're adventure (the Bat Mobile is stolen and they want to get it back) was just too flimsy, even for a movie of this type.

I did however somewhat enjoy the flashback reenactments of the old show, they were funny at times, but when Adam and Burt appeared again, so to did sadness return. :frowning:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
It was like a freaking car wreck! I wanted to turn the damn channel, but didn't! To actually admit that I watched the whole thing will come back to haunt me some day, I know it!:D

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
I actually said to my wife, "I don't know why I'm laughing at this, because its funny or because its sad."

I really enjoyed the flashbacks and seeing the progression of the show and how it came to be. The other present time stuff was just painful to watch.

Could CBS not have just done a "Story of the Batman tv show"? I think it would have done much better. I did have serious flashbacks to the Simpsons episode where they meet Adam West at the car show and he starts doing the Batusi.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I kind of wanted to see this, but I missed it. However, I hadn't seen any promos for it, just heard the title; so I thought it was going to be a retrospective special (interviews and stuff) :rolleyes:Guess I didn't miss much, huh?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In between commercial breaks for Dragnet, I'd flip over to this wreck (both with broadcast in HDTV) and was pretty unimpressed by this "movie". After the whole "we need to shrink Burt Ward's groinal region" segment, I didn't feel the need to switch back to it during the next Dragnet commercial break. :D

I did find it funny that Cesar Romero did not shave his moustache when he was getting face all white, with reddish lips. I noticed this as a kid watching the show, but didn't much of it until last night.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
OK. They tried something different and were not entirely successful. I thought it wwas bad casting to cast someone whithout a paunch to play Adam West. In general, I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped to, but I'm glad that they didn't do the typical reunion show with theinterviews and all. Batman was an unusual dhow, so why not try something different.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Me too. I have only watched about 30 mins so far, will watch the rest tonight, but I enjoy it. It's fun, unusual and nostalgic. I don't think West & ward are pathetic at all, they're just having fun with their old characters and with the old show.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It was certainly a different way to do a retrospective. Considering that people were disappointed that the "Married With Childeren" retrospective didn't have a reunion show associated with it, it is a little surprising the reaction here.

I liked the retrospective stuff, and I thought the actors did a good job overall portraying it. I was a little disappointed that as much as they talked about Julie Newmar, there was no mention of Eartha Kitt taking over for her towards the end.

In some ways, Adam West is very similar to William Shatner in that he knows his place. It is why he still to this day plays on the cornyness of his Batman days.

Jason

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a lot of fun too. I took it in with the spirit in which it was produced, and it was enjoyable in that regard.

I found it interesting that the flash backs tracked right on target with the commentaries and interviews found on the 1966 Batman movie DVD that came out a year or so ago.

By the way, I noticed in the openning credits(which were very well done) that Dawn Wells was a producer. And I thought the Gilligan's Island thing she produced was the model for this Batman movie.

Nelson

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
It certainly wasn't Oscar material, but it was all in good fun and not as bad as some of you people are making it out to be. I thought the "present day" stuff was very "in the spirit" of the original show and some of it was downright hilarious to watch :D

James T

Screenwriter
I guess I'm with the minority by saying I thought it was a fun show.

My fav part was when Adam West kept calling his butler, Jerry, "Alfred".

I knew the person who did the Batgirl costume on Back to the Batcave and he made quite a bit of money selling the costume on E-Bay.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
I have to say I am pretty surprised a lot of people found this show to be a car wreck. I laughed my ass off and have a ton of newfound respect for Adam and Burt. I thought they were hilarious reprising their roles and hope Burt got paid more than $350/week for it. The tip toe scene was great.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I saw some of the beginning and I enjoyed what I saw, but I was too tired to stay awake for all of it (and didn't think about taping it, that's how tired I was). So who was it that stole the Batmobile?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think they could have done better by just doing a TV movie of the flashback scenes. The story of the show was interesting, and it was unique seeing other actors play the parts of young Adam and Burt and other people. The Adam and Burt scenes were awful and far too long. It seems to me like they were edited to fill the amount of time not used by the flashback scenes.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Hey, it's not like the original T.V. series was a cinematic masterpiece. It was campy and goofy, just like last night's show. I thought it was pretty obvious that they were trying to give last night's show that 'campy' feel.

Stephanie T.

Stunt Coordinator
I loved it! One cute detail: the thug crew in black, ironically-labelled T-shirts in the AZ bar: the bartender in a "BARTENDER" shirt, etc.

That, and the huge Roman candle that Gotham's Finest were roped to at the end.

I hope CBS will treat this one to a replay someday...

"SAME BAT-TIME, SAME BAT-CHANNEL!" :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Frank Gorsh (sp?) and Julie Newmar stole it, then roped the Dynamic Duo to a biiig dynamite in the cave they used for the exit of the Batmobile

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the "loved it" camp on this one. Adam West and Burt Ward weren't above poking fun at themselves and the old TV show. I thought the whole thing was hilarious, although the fight at the Arizona Highway bar did seem to drag on.

It was good mindless fun and what's wrong with that?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hey, it's not like the original T.V. series was a cinematic masterpiece. It was campy and goofy, just like last night's show. I thought it was pretty obvious that they were trying to give last night's show that 'campy' feel.
Exactly! Some would have you believe the 60's show was a cinematic masterpiece. It was a cheese-fest, and I thought it very fitting that the retrospective would be as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks