What's new

HOLOMAX (warning: image heavy!) (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
The HOLOMAX letters are made out of wood, painted in a very bright red so they 'pop' when lit by the LED strips. As for the typeface, they where constructed to match the HOLOMAX sign in Back to the Future Part II. The only differences between the two, is that I decided the letter 'O' should have a hollow middle and the 'A' a hollow top, on my sign so it would read clearly. I wanted the 'M' and 'X' characters to exactly match those in the film as I felt those were the most visually interesting.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Close and if look closer at the one in the film or Universal Studio picture not sure if it is, but sure looks like neon lighting behind some dark like plastic, Could be done with led lights mounted on board, today at cheaper cost.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
You're right Andy, the sign in the movie looks to be a plastic, on the BD release it's clear that the 'neon' lighting of the sign is red (strangely it looks almost like something added in optically after the fact), which is another reason why I chose the sign to be red. I did look at options around matching the signs look more closely to the one in the film, but I decided it wouldn't suit the space in which I was putting it, and it might have felt at odds with the rooms Art Deco 'wood' look.After all my HOLOMAX is just the first in the chain. By 2015 there will be HOLOMAXs opening worldwide with huge holographic sharks jumping out at patrons! ;)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Dale, I been looking up and down youtube for any night time shots that would possible show it with lighting switched On, even looked around Google images. Not one night time shot, I can find.

The red for "Jaws 19" that would be red plastic with a clear bright white light behind.

But the one for the HOLOMAX each have at least two sets of neon, and the other letterheads just a single.

Those letterheads look to be at least 12" high by 10" so wide by 5" deep, so yeah they'll be a bit large lol for you. But still those letterheads can be scaled down in size.

As to cost of making mkII version? You can get bendy MDF to make O and straight MDF for all the other letterheads using a drill router. Find some cheap clear (easy to cut) plastic sheeting to cut out and fix into place.

Cheap led that would last many hours and some back-up led in case some go out?

A circuit board that can control a few zone outputs to O letters so they turn on and off at fast or slow synchronize along with the rest of the led's.

But I would gather that would cost under £100.00.

The large fine sheet of MDF would be enough to make the straight letterheads,
The bendy MDF enough to make the O letters.

Otherwise keep your design its fine as it is as I gather that would have taken a few days to a week to do. :)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Interesting ideas! Thanks andysu. Although I have a feeling you know what you're doing with those sort of DIY projects, whereas I'm a kind of draw it and let someone else build it kinda person!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I see, so it wasn't "personal" :laugh:

eBAy has clear perspex sheets starting at low prices.

B&Q mdf 6mm and 12mm is cheap so, so.

Bendy mdf 6mm is cheap and only need to make a few O letters out it.

But wonder if this could be done with cardboard? Its re-enforcing it all to strengthen it.

Also on eBay is coloured plastics but I can't find the type that would have some transparency and other types are used for lighting effects or Gels But you could still cut corners and use it as they are used with lights that are hot and LED is way, way cooler far less heat and power consumption as well.

But I like the rest of the room its coloured nicely and looks welcoming.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dale:

Looks like the kind of theater that Doc Brown would have in his own mansion.

Love the layout and the choice of equipment. I am sure that you and yours have a
great time at your local cinemaplex.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Thanks Parker, means a lot! :)

The only upgrades that I've made since the OP have been a new projector mount, which flat mounts the projector to the ceiling, giving it a cleaner look, which you may be able to make out in these pics:

Untitled by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

I've also moved the sub further into the corner of the room which has helped to more evenly distribute the bass, which you can just make out here:

I upgraded to the Harmony Ultimate Remote (thanks to Ron's review) which also controls the rooms lighting and the Sonos music system:

The library room also had a sort out before Christmas:

And of course, in the year 2015, the HOLOMAX theatre wouldn't be complete without a Hoverboard waiting outside its doors:

;)

And the best upgrade of all...

My daughter, Evelyn Grace, arrived in August last year and has already enjoyed a couple of classics in the theatre. That's what this hobby is all about!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Everything looks great, Dale. Really great.

But I can't disagree about the "best upgrade of all!" :biggrin:

I just became a grandpa in October. I'm looking forward to sharing some Disney classics down the road with our Grace Katherine!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What I wouldn't give...for shelving like that.

There's probably not too many members here that aren't envious of that particular aspect of Dale's HT (and most others, too)!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I hadn't checked my emails over my Christmas break from work, so I got a surprise this morning when I saw the HOLOMAX was the HTF Featured Home Theatre this month! Thanks guys! :) And quite timely too, since we're now in 2015 (the "Future" year of BTTF2).
Mike Frezon said:
I just became a grandpa in October. I'm looking forward to sharing some Disney classics down the road with our Grace Katherine!
Congrats Mike!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
A couple of updates in my home theatre...

I installed Philips Hue lighting across the screening lighting to give a "cinema red curtain" effect. You can also create different lighting moods for example during the Halloween & Christmas seasons using the different colours available.

I think it looks really effective:

Looks a little more pink than red in the pics, but I think that's the bright LED lights blowing them out on my camera. They're a darker red colour in real life!

And a small update on my library room, as I have picked up a couple more display pieces and a lot more Blu-rays/DVDs since my previous post:

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
How many disc do you have? I have over 2000. A pity that you did not have a curved screen for more effect.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A curved screen is only needed with a projector with field curvature bad enough to require it. Otherwise, as with any typical projector, a curved screen will result in a blurry image on the sides and look terrible.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Isn't amazing how that shelf space just...disappears. :wacko:

Haha! It's like magic -- there's a definite correlation between the lowering of my bank balance and my shelf space disappearing!

How many disc do you have? I have over 2000. A pity that you did not have a curved screen for more effect.

Too many! ...somewhere north of 5,000.

A curved screen is only needed with a projector with field curvature bad enough to require it. Otherwise, as with any typical projector, a curved screen will result in a blurry image on the sides and look terrible.

Yeah, looked into the curved screen thing. It gets complicated pretty quickly, with the necessary use of lenses to combat the blurry sides of an image but then you loose resolution, so it's a real trade off. Plus there's only a handful of films I'd like to view that way (namely It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World). So went the flat 16:9 route instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks