What's new

Pre-Order Holiday Inn (1942) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
717Q+AbczOL._SL1500_.jpg

Bonus Content:

• Includes 4K UHD, Blu-ray and a digital copy of Holiday Inn (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.)
  • 4x Sharper than Full HD with High Dynamic Range (HDR10)
  • A Couple of Song and Dance Men
  • All-Singing All-Dancing
  • Reassessing ""Abraham""
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Feature Commentary by Film Historian Ken Barnes, Including Archival Audio Comments from Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, and John Scott Trotter

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This has certainly been a big year for 4K Christmas movies with Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and now Holiday Inn. Now we need A Christmas Carol (1951), Miracle on 34th St. (1947), White Christmas, and maybe Meet Me In St Louis and Holiday Affair.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This has certainly been a big year for 4K Christmas movies with Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and now Holiday Inn. Now we need A Christmas Carol (1951), Miracle on 34th St. (1947), White Christmas, and maybe Meet Me In St Louis and Holiday Affair.
Agreed!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I doubt we’ll see Holiday Affair since it just came out on Blu-ray a couple years ago. Furthermore, it being an old RKO title, the film elements might be an issue for 4K release.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Forget A Chrsitmas Carol 1951 do not even think Disney knows they own it. Holiday Affair was just done on blu ray 2 years ago as Mr C noted best chance is White Christmas but Paramount has been mum on it

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Reassessing ""Abraham"" appears to be a new extra replacing "Coloring A Classic " about the colorization of the film. I do remember this number being cut from the film when it was shown on local broadcast TV. I assume the blu ray included will be the existing blu ray. The colorized version is not advertised as being included in this set. I don't remember if that version was on a separate disk on the blu ray set. Doesn't matter to me as I never watch colorized movies. Just my choice.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I doubt we’ll see Holiday Affair since it just came out on Blu-ray a couple years ago. Furthermore, it being an old RKO title, the film elements might be an issue for 4K release.
The blu ray looks great - I had the 1989 VHS it looked good better sound than TCM's old master their master had one scene especially when they were in the park and Mitchum was talking about going to the butcher etc the sound would go real low and then back to normal the VHS did not have that yet the dvd did. TCMS new master and the blu ray are a sharp upgrade!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The blu ray looks great - I had the 1989 VHS it looked good better sound than TCM's old master their master had one scene especially when they were in the park and Mitchum was talking about going to the butcher etc the sound would go real low and then back to normal the VHS did not have that yet the dvd did. TCMS new master and the blu ray are a sharp upgrade!
Can Going My Way in 4K be in the works too? Holiday Inn is a GREAT film that is a gift to Universal that keeps on giving! Love this info too bad it was never mentioned on the vid releases

"Although Marjorie Reynolds appeared as the lead in "Holiday Inn," her singing voice doesn't grace the movie's hits. According to "Movies Magnificent: 150 Must-See Cinema Classics" by John Reid, you're listening to Martha Mears (pictured). She dubbed the voice of Linda Mason in numbers like "White Christmas" and "Come to Holiday Inn."

In an article that appeared in the Moberly Monitor-Index in 1952, Mears would describe dubbing as "ghost singing," explaining that it required adapting her voice to each actress she worked with to ensure a successful and convincing portrayal. Although the article doesn't mention Mears' work on "Holiday Inn" specifically, a simple Spotify search reveals her credit as the singer of "White Christmas" along with Bing Crosby. Besides dubbing Marjorie Reynolds, Mears worked with many other Hollywood celebrities, including Rita Hayworth, Hedy Lamarr, Veronica Lake, and Eva Gabor, gifting them with her velvety vocals."

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/714675/the-untold-truth-of-holiday-inn/?utm_campaign=clip

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In my review of Universal's last release of Holiday Inn, I specifically mention Martha Mears as Reynolds' singing voice and how wonderfully the two have been matched. Mears also ghosted for Lucille Ball in Dubarry Was a Lady, in this case a very unsatisfactory matching of voice with star.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
In my review of Universal's last release of Holiday Inn, I specifically mention Martha Mears as Reynolds' singing voice and how wonderfully the two have been matched. Mears also ghosted for Lucille Ball in Dubarry Was a Lady, in this case a very unsatisfactory matching of voice with star.
Not going off topic but somwhere it said she sang for Loretta Young too cannot figure out what film? Matt can u or anyone explain why they never would just release the version of the song White Christmas back in 1942 from the film istead of Bing recording it for Decca?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not going off topic but somwhere it said she sang for Loretta Young too cannot figure out what film? Matt can u or anyone explain why they never would just release the version of the song White Christmas back in 1942 from the film istead of Bing recording it for Decca?
Soundtrack albums were not a thing until MGM released Till the Clouds Roll By in 1946 to initiate their own record label. All of the big musical stars like Bing and Judy who had record contracts (both of them with Decca) did film-based albums or singles of their song hits for their contract labels.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
tha
Soundtrack albums were not a thing until MGM released Till the Clouds Roll By in 1946 to initiate their own record label. All of the big musical stars like Bing and Judy who had record contracts (both of them with Decca) did film-based albums or singles of their song hits for their contract labels.
thank u!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I decided to watch the digital copy I have that came with the blu ray. I don't recall viewing it before. It starts with a card warning about "Abraham" being of it's time. The movie starts with a 1940's Universal intro before the Paramount opening. I don't recall Universal doing that with any of their other Paramount films. Usually its a modern color Universal opening. The film in HD looks and sounds good. I am no expert but I have no complaints. Not sure if this will upgrade to 4K when the 4K disc is released.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Have just 'tried' to watch Holiday Inn in 4K and have to say the results are oddly underwhelming and more than a bit of a disappointment.

For starters, the image is significantly darker than previous Blu-ray incarnations. Even the Blu-ray included in this set skews to a brighter, more balanced image that reveals fine detail throughout. On the 4K all blacks, including Crosby's one-time pin-striped suit, now just register as a dark blob of undistinguished black.

The other problem I have here is that grain gets amplified to egregious levels. Grain is a part of film. But 4K has the ability to exaggerate grain to the point where it is merely an amplification of a finite particle matter than once was pretty much, if not invisible, than most definitely accepted by the naked eye. This just looks gritty rather than 'grain rich'.

Finally, I'm not entirely certain who the featurette, Reassessing Abraham, is trying to appease. It's a truncated featurette with mere snippets and sound bites from four historians who view the film's black face from decidedly different perspectives. But the featurette doesn't even begin to scratch the surface in any way for a meaningful analysis. Rather, all four perspectives get put forward briefly and then the image merely cuts to black (no pun intended).

Finally, the feature is NOW preceded by a vintage Universal logo (Alexander Golitzen's art deco glass globe and rotating stars) before the Paramount logo follows it. Let's be clear. Universal inherited much of the pre-50's Paramount library in a lock, stock and outright MCA purchase of their vintage films during the late 70's. They had absolutely NOTHING to do with the making, marketing or distribution of Holiday Inn.

So, a Uni logo before the Paramount one is just plain wrong. Uni did the same thing on the Blu release of Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much and One-Eyed Jacks. Even more insulting on both these release, they actually replaced the original Paramount and VistaVision preamble with the Uni globe logo instead. They also cut the MGM logo off their recent Blu of State of the Union. Their old DVD release contained the MGM logo.

But back to Holiday Inn in 4K. It looks dark, gritty and rather unattractive throughout, especially when compared to the standard Blu-ray image, which actually gives a somewhat more refined presentation on the whole with subtler shadow delineation and far more detail available in the black portions of the image. So, we get to see, say, lapels on suits and the various textures of fabrics on the Blu while the 4K reduces all of these dark colors to mere, homogenized black with zero detail. NOT loving this presentation at all!

Daniel_BB

Agent
Real Name
Daniel BARBIEUX

The complete soundtracks of White Christmas and Holiday Inn are now available on Amazon:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks