What's new

Hitchcock on Grace Kelly's Kiss Effects (1 Viewer)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
After seeing the excellent documentary about the Hitchcock/Truffaut sessions a couple of months back, I bought the book, and have been reading through it occasionally. Today I came across something very interesting.

Here is the exchange on page 222 of the latest paperback edition:

"F.T. Both in Rear Window and in To Catch a Thief the kiss is a process shot. Not the kiss itself, but the approach to the faces is jerky, as if you had double-printed that frame in the cutting room.

A.H. Not at all. These are puslations (sic) that I get by shaking the camera by hand or dollying backward and forward, or sometimes by doing both[...]"

I have no idea how the effect was done, but neither of these techniques seems right. Any cinematography experts have any idea? Thanks.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It's an optical effect called cascading. They print the frames before and after over the top to create an effect of trailing and/or leading action.

It's usually used in dream sequences and drug POVs. Hitchcock is the only one I know to use it for anticipation like that. Very clever.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the response. It makes a lot more sense than what Hitchcock was quoted as saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks