What's new

Hitachi RPTV component question - Y,Pb,Pr or Y,Cb,Cr? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have the Hitachi 43UWX10b 16:9 RPTV with a Panasonic RP-56 progressive scan player hooked to it via component cables. I was rifling through the manual and noticed this:
"Component color type:
HDTV - Use for High Vision signal Y-Pb-Pr from HDTV set top box.
SDTV/DVD - Standard Definition Television or DVD Y-Cb-Cr."
I currently have it set to SDTV/DVD. However, I notice that the component outs on my Panny are labeled Y-Pb-Pr. Since this is the case, should I actually have the TV set to the HDTV component color type? I also have an X-Box hooked up via component and same thing there -- the outs are Y-Pb-Pr. If anyone can explain this to me, I'd appreciate it.
Also, just what the hell does NOISE REDUCTION actually do? :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jeremy,
The jacks on the player and tv are color coded red, green and blue. Just make sure these don't get crossed up and your ok.

The color type selection in the tv menu won't hurt anything if you select the wrong one. The HD choice seems to tone down color blooming and makes the color controls on the set less sensitive. I had a 53UWX10B for a few weeks last fall and preferred the HD setting even for dvd.

I never figured out what Noise Reduction did, but left it turned off.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
But the question is... which setting is more accurate as far as reproducing the intended colors of a DVD? Or does it matter which you use after you calibrate?

When I calibrate with Avia, SDTV/DVD setting gives me tint +2 toward green and Color at 38. When I calibrate with it set to HDTV, it comes out to dead center on tint and Color at 43. Contrast (30), black level (48) and sharpness (25) are not affected one way or the other.

After calibration both ways (with color temperature set to WARM), I used the color decoder check pattern to see if it made a difference in the amount of any individual color. Both ways, it comes out to Blue: 0, Red: 0 (no red push!), and (the confusing one) Green: -15%.

So does calibrating with Avia essentially nullify the effect of the HDTV/SDTV setting? Any ISF people want to tackle that question?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I am not familiar with this TV but you might want to see if the two settings HDTV and SDTV/DVD are just the names for two different presets (memories) that you can give custom calibrations to.
Calibration by definition will alter what you used to get when choosing "HDTV" versus "SDTV/DVD" color type.
Also, Y/Pb/Pr and Y/Cb/Cr labels are used interchangeably indiscriminately on consumer video equipment. Technically Y/Pb/Pr means analog which DVD and HDTV regular RCA jack component video is, while Y/Cb/Cr means digital such as in a DVI or Firewire connection.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Michael Fusick knows Hitachis, and he's right. It's more a matter of preference than "what's correct". On the Hitachi I had I much preferred the HDTV color mode.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Well, I had gotten to liking the look of having it set to HDTV, but it turns out I don't get a choice. Every time I turn the set off and back on, it defaults to SDTV/DVD for both my DVD and XBOX inputs. I guess I'll just have to recalibrate and leave it set to SDTV/DVD. That really sucks 'cause when I play Dragon's Lair 3D in 1080i, the set locks to HDTV and the colors look off. If I could calibrate to HDTV and have it leave the damn setting alone, I'd love to. Is there any way to keep it from reverting back to SDTV every time?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks