What's new

Help with roku 3 and home theater (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is another option...

Get an external HDMI switch that has a toslink/digital coax output that can still do 5.1(many HDMI switches with a secondary audio output still dumb the audio down to 2.0)...then...

Roku and STB to the switch. Switch HDMI to the TV(again assuming the TV has 2). Switch toslink/digital coax to the HTiB.

Now if the TV only has one HDMI...you'd run the HTiB to the switch as well...and the switch back into the HTiB...

Welcome to the pratfalls and end arounds required with HTiB.

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Sorry. Got busy at work. Is the stb you keep talking about the cable box? The TV does have 3 HDMI ports. The Roku only has the HDMI and component ports. It doesn't have anything else. Thanks again. I'll get this working soon. Lol

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Everything "should already be" HDMI into the TV. Your STB, does it not have HDMI? How many HDMI does this TV have? (if it is an older set with only 1...I understand) In an "ideal world"... STB to TV via HDMI.HTiB to TV via HDMIRoku to TV via HDMI (assuming the TV has 3) STB to HTiB via optical (STB should have one)Roku to HTiB via analog 5 cables and done.
One thing confusing me here. The Roku 2 only has and HDMI and the red, white, yellow components output on it. There isn't a place for an optical cable. Maybe I missed it and I'll check it out again but I don't remember any other options.

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I just a search and I think there are 2 Roku 2s? They have the xs version apparently. I never even heard of a Roku before this thing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I said...Roku to HTiB via analog for audio(thought that would be plain)...

The red/white is analog audio. Just like Cassette decks, VCR, Video cameras, CD players etc...

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
A cox guy installed the stb which is the new contour from cox so I'm sure its connected via HDMI since the old box was. The TV has 3 HDMI ports so I'm good there. All I should need is another HDMI wire to run from the htib to the Tv. The digital audio cable may already run from the htib to the stb which means all I need to do is connect the analog sound cables to the htib from the roku and replace the components from the htib with an hdmi. I hope its that easy Friday.

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Got it working for them. Only down side is there is a pretty long delay before the sound starts after you turn on the Roku. I'm thinking its because the sound from the cable uses the same mode on the htib. They have to turn the cable box off to hear the Roku sound but it takes a good 30 seconds for the sound to start on the Roku.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That doesn't make any sense.They can't share the "same mode". One is toslink, the other is analog.Unless this HTiB doesn't offer input switching and digital over rides analog(which would be the dumbest set up in history)

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Both the cable and the Roku sound plays through TV/video mode on the htib. Not sure why but that's how its working. This is how its set up:Htib to TV via HDMIRoku to TV via HDMIStb to TV via HDMIHtib to Stb via digital audioRoku to Htib via an along audio

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wow. Maybe that HTiB is built on input stacking.

It makes zero sense it has a "TV input" button.

Input stacking is, essentially...

The HTiB defaults to the analog input(but it has two of them...) unless you turn on a device connected to either the toslink or digital coax. I "guess" to activate the mini-jack input you simply plug something into it.

If that is the way this HTiB works...I would have returned it.

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Its pretty annoying. It seems like you have to switch the input on the Htib once you get the Roku going and change it back to TV/video for the sound to work if the cable box was on before.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What button is that to switch inputs?

And this "rigmarole" you go through...is why HTiB gets zero love.

If this were a real AVR and speakers(which you can get under $300)...

You'd have 4 HDMI cables total and the remote from the AVR would control everything. And there would be no switching the TV and audio. (But you'd need a separate BD player...or DVD. KMart had 7 different BD players under $70. With 2 under $45)

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
They never use that remote. Everything is controlled by the Stb remote. There is an input button or maybe its call function? Anyway, the box settings are TV/video, audio, DVD, FM, and AM. I assume audio is for the usb port

Pawl

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't have a receiver that plays Dolby Digital Plus, you won't get any sound. Otherwise, you will have to set your Roku to stereo sound. I have a very old Denon that sounds like a dream, but it doesn't encode in Dolby Digital +. Otherwise, I'm planning on getting a new Marantz receiver this year. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks