What's new

High Milage Stories (1 Viewer)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Whats the highest mileage youve ever gotten out of a car?

I bought an 88 Acura Integra with 130k at auction. I could spin the tires and smoke up the block until 180k when I wrecked it.
I did absolutly no maintainance on the car with the exception of changing the clutch (I learned to drive stick on a 130k clutch so thats understandable).
I know some of the perfectionests here could definitly top that.

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator
My fiancee has a 91 Chevy Cavalier with 238,000 miles and it still gets between 35 and 38 mpg depening on whether or not the a/c is used.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
200 000 miles out of an 985 Civic 1500s.

The guy I sold it to drove it away SLOWLY:) The main seal had a small rip and ruined a clutch that was put in only 6 months before. So bye bye ...... I still miss it!

Brent

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I had 248,000 miles on a 1988 Chevrolet S-10. They were mostly highway miles from a very long commute to work. It looked like hell, but it ran great. I got rid of it a couple of years ago, but I still see it around town every now and then.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
My in-laws had a 1988 Oldsmobile '88 that they gave to their daughter (my wife) when we got married. I think it had around 197,000 miles on it when we got it. A few years later, we were able to purchase a newer car so we gave the '88 back to her parents. When we gave it back to them, it had around 240,000. To my knowledge, it is still running well (although the back doors won't open anymore) and probably has 1/4 Million + on it now.

JKS

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My friend had a 1990 Honda Prelude with over 300,000 miles with no rebuild of either engine or transmission. He did have to make repairs here and there, but he made me feel guilty when I sold my 1991 Honda Accord LX after "only" 138,000 miles. He sold his Honda Prelude for $2,000, then purchased a brand new 2001 Honda Accord EX.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I had an 88 Celica with about 205K miles on it. Original brakes until 120k, rebuilt tranny at 160K w/ a new clutch (still had original til that point). My dad is driving it now, but it starting to have some problems now.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I had an 84 Hyundai Steller that made it up to 450K miles before I wrote it off on a pickup truck that turned left infront of me. Had to change the timing chain a few times and the head twice, oh and the waterpump blew up on me once.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
300,000 miles on a '77 Buick LeSabre. (The ones that were as big as a tank) A/C - broke, Cruise - broke, electric windows - broke (except on rainy days), fan blower - hard wired to a simple on/off switch, color - oxidized powderpuff blue. Something broke on the car every week and eventually I just got tired of fixing things.

Right now, I've got 182,000 trouble-free miles on a '92 Accord.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
265,000 on an 86 jetta, basically no maintenance beyond the exhaust system, it was stored for a period of time without being started. when i worked in the install bay, i worked on a 1987 mercedes diesel (i forget the model) and the guy worked as a travelling salesman in new england, and at the car had 586,000 miles at the time i worked on it, and it ran pretty well when i drove it. he said all he has done is change the oil, and tires of course.

CJ

Ryan_C

Second Unit
586,000 miles
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have a coworker who on the highway needs to stop every 10 minutes to let the engine cool down :laugh:.

I've got 125K myself :b

--
H

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I'm used to getting lots of mileage out of my vehicle and the three vehicles I have now all are high milage and still in use and I fully expect to get many more miles out of each.
1997 F150- bought new- now has 176K. Driven daily for work for 6 years, but I now have it kinda tricked out somewhat and use it for weekends and joy riding.
1997 F150-bought last year from my brother. Both F150s were bought the same month by us. It has 155K and is a daily driver/work truck.
1994 Toyota Camry- 160K- Bought last year for my GF- runs like a top.

I believe in proper maintenance and upkeep to reduce being blindsided by something breaking and as you can see by the above milage on multiple vehicles, it works.
The last vehicle I had before these was a 1985 Chev PU with 130K when I wrecked it. I still miss that truck.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I work in the service dept. of a largish Toyota dealership in Central California.

We have a number of regular customers with outrageously high mileage on their vehicles with no major engine or transmission repairs.

One 85 Camry with 423k miles at last visit.

One 93 Camry V6 with 35ok

One of our service writers has a 91 Previa van with 395k.

Yesterday I did a minor service on a 98 V6 Camry with 264k on the odometer. The interior shows some wear and tear as the owners are frankly slobs, but the car ran like new. Even the struts were still in pretty good shape.

All of these cars have had the occasional brake job, a starter here and there and maybe a radiator replacement at around 150-200k, but none has ever had the head(s) off or needed a transmission repair.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
no high mileage stories, but some mile high stories :)

that is some INSANE mileage on those toyotas. I don't drive much, it would take me 22.5 years to rack that many miles up!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I am afraid of jinxing myself, but I have a 1992 Accord with about 180,000 miles on the original transmission and clutch. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
1990 Maxima's original transmission was really in need of a rebuild when I stopped driving it at 181k. Decided to go with another used car (96 Max w/130k miles, this time a manual) rather than the ~$2k repair cost. Everything else ran and looked great.

What's with the lack of Euro cars!? :D

Walt N

Second Unit
Here's a Euro for you...

I had 250K on my '74 BMW 3.0S before I got rid of it. I bought it in 1981 with 60K on it, and in the 15 years I drove it just about every major system and/or component failed at least once except for the analog dashboard clock. I always found that interesting since the old dashboard clocks with hands were usually the first thing to fail in other cars. I sure did love that car though, it had STYLE and it's the only car I've owned that I miss terribly.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't keep cars very long so my stories are mostly about customers where I work.

The first car I ever owned was a 1962 Chevy Corvair Monza that I got in 1968. It had 43k on it when I bought it and about 125k on it when I traded it in on my first Toyota in 1972. The Corvair had a bad rap for poor reliability mainly because it was air-cooled and didn't live long if the fanbelt broke, so to get anything over 80k out of one was fairly unusual. Mine still ran very well when I traded for the Toyota, but I had a bad case of "new-car-itis".

I now share a half interest with my ex in a very driveable 1961 Corvair Lakewood station wagon--built for only 2 years and very rare. It's accumulated over 317,000 miles since new. We've only had it the last 10 years, prior to us it was owned for 25 years or so by a Chevy dealer service manager from the Central California coast who maintained it like one would an airplane--keep the body and replace engine/drivetrain as needed.

Right now it has a bit of a tranny fluid leak where the shift shaft enters the side of the powerglide, but otherwise no real mechanical problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.