What's new

Hero: I bet that you wouldn't like to miss it! (1 Viewer)

Tim RH

Second Unit
Yes, it is a great movie, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I loved the use of colors and all the actors are very-well cast (especially Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Maggie Cheung Man-yuk). I wish Donnie Yen and Ziyi Zhang had more to do in the movie, but oh well... I hope the Director's Cut (which is supposed to be released soon) will be even better!

Yumi, did you see HERO on the big screen? What was it like? I've only gotten to see it on imported DVD, though we should get it here in theatres later this year.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
My import should be here within the week, can't wait to see it.

though we should get it here in theatres later this year.
And if you get the same Miram-Axed version that we get in the states, it will most likely be cut and dubbed :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::angry: :angry: :angry:

Yumi, please feel free to sign the petition in my signature, to keep Asian films uncut, and in thier original language when they are brought to the states :)

Chris

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Chris, why would they dub it? Shall We Dance was in its original language, why should Hero be any different? Is it because Hero focuses more on visuals?

Yumi

Stunt Coordinator
[SIZE=no]
And if you get the same Miram-Axed version that we get in the states, it will most likely be cut and dubbed
I feel sorry hearing that!Chris,
But I think the same thing happened to your movies to be exported here.That's bad,too.
I also enjoy watching original edition.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:[/SIZE]

Yumi

Stunt Coordinator
[SIZE=no]
Yumi, did you see HERO on the big screen? What was it like? I've only gotten to see it on imported DVD, though we should get it here in theatres later this year.
It was amazing!

The colours Zhang used is one of my favourite part of this movie. It has extra meaning to this movie.[/SIZE]

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
why would they dub it?
Hero has already been cut thanks to Miram-axe even before being released in Hong Kong, though the director insists that Miramax's pressure had no influence on him re-cutting the movie from its original 116 minutes.

The dubbing just seems kind of obvious, yes it would be nice for it not to be dubbed, but when dealing with Miram-axe, it's best not to get your hopes up.

They are releasing Shaolin Soccer the same month in the US and it is dubbed, with a new musical soundtrack (including the song "Kung-Fu Fighting" :rolleyes:). The dubbing doesn't seem as bad (per the trailer) but the fact that it is dubbed at all is a travesty.

You can check out the Web Alliance site, it has some information on particular movies and the cuts/changes made to them, but the site is acting weird right now

Chris

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If it's only available here in a dubbed version, I won't see it until the DVD release. But then, where I live, I doubt I'd get a chance to see it on the big screen anyways...though it has been getting much better around here. That being said, if the film were to show here, undubbed, I would definitely be there.

Bruce

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Most of the Asian "art house" films I've seen in theaters have *not* been dubbed, Miramax released or not.

Animated films and anime, of course, are another story.

Although it's no comfort, and I loathe cutting and dubbing, Harvey Scissorhands treats his English language films no kinder when it comes to editing for theatrical release. Many have gone under the knife before being seen by American audiences. Sometimes, like Restoration, the films are exiled to the shelf for months or years. For all Harvey's meddling, the fourth act of this films remained jumbled. Gony is another high profile example, more recent example of Weinstein's exerting control.

Still, Miramax is distributing and producing interesting, worthwhile films. No other studio would've taken on GONY.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
The Alliance site is back up now. Here is a list of Disney owned films that have been released, most of which dubbed, re-scored, and cut, the actual site has links to descriptions for some of them:

Released Films

Armour of God (aka Operation Condor II: The Armour of God)
Armour of God II: Operation Condor (aka Operation Condor)
Bodyguard From Beijing (aka The Defender)
Chungking Express
City On Fire
Crime Story
Drunken Master II (aka Legend of the Drunken Master)
Farewell My Concubine
Fist of Legend
Fong Sai Yuk (aka The Legend)
Fong Sai Yuk II (aka The Legend II)
Heroic Trio
Iron Monkey
My Father Is A Hero (aka The Enforcer)
Police Story III: Supercop (aka Supercop)
Project A
Project S (aka Supercop 2)
Swordsman 2 (aka Legend of the Swordsman)
Tai Chi Master (aka Twin Warriors)
The Master
Twin Dragons

These are Disney owned, unreleased films of which the only one I know for sure of is Shaolin Soccer which at the least has been dubbed and re-scored:

Unreleased Films

Bullet In The Head
Chinese Ghost Story
Chinese Gost Story II
Chinese Ghost Story III
Dream Lovers
Dragon Lord
Dragons Forever
Easy Money
Executioners
Fighters Blues, A
Flaming Brothers
God of Gamblers
God of Gamblers' Return
Handsome Siblings
Hard Boiled
Hero
Killer, The
Last Hero In China
Legend Of Zu
Peking Opera Blues
Prison On Fire
Prison On Fire II
Purple Storm
Shaolin Soccer
Shaolin Temple 2: Kids From Shaolin
Swordsman
Tiger Cage
Tiger On Beat
Touch, The
Triads: The Inside Story
Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars
Wonder Seven
Yes, Madam
Zu: Warriors From The Magic Mountain

I am holding out hope on Hero, but if you look at some of the non-sense changes made to these films (adding a rap soundtrack to some, changing dialogue that actually changes the storyline, etc.), I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. Http://www.loveandbullets.com also has reviews of many films, and notes the changes where it can.

Chris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I got this on import DVD from a stateside retailer within the last couple of weeks, and thought it was excellent (first time I've ever bought a film sight-unseen). It's the shortened (~100 minute) version, with DTS, code-free, and no dubbed track. A pretty good-looking disc of an amazing-looking feature.

Provided they don't dub the theatrical release in November, I may go ahead and see it in a theater, just to have the big-screen experience. I doubt I'll be buying whatever Disney/Miramax decides to release on disc over here, unless by some miracle it's the extended version of the film with its original language track, or has some really outstanding supplements.

--Jefferson Morris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks