What's new

Help with Criterion DVD's (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'm looking to order some Criterion Edition DVD's and wondering if you guys could help me find the best deals.

I'm looking for:
1. Do The Right Thing
2. Brazil
3. Traffic
4. The Last Temptation of Christ
5. Time Bandits

I found, on Amazon.com Brazil for $50.99 and Time Bandits for $35.99, The Last Temptation of Christ $35.99, Do The Right Thing $35.99. My local Best Buy has Traffic for $29.99. I know there has got to be better deals. What are some better/cheaper online DVD retailers?

BTW, why did Criterion release Time Bandits and Brazil in a non-anamorphic transfer? Makes me wonder if it's even worth buying the Criterion version, other than for the extras.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I buy most of my Criterions at DVDPlanet. Their prices are 35% off MSRP. Not too bad. Only problem is that all titles are not always in stock. Good service, though not as good as Amazon. Brazil is currently out of stock, but it goes for $38.97. Do the Right Thing is $25.97. And so forth.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
DVDPriceSearch listed had DVDPlanet with the lowest price for Brazil, but since shipping was $3.50 the best deal turned out to be at DeepDiscountDVD.

Now, more importantly, do you guys feel the Criterion version of Brazil and Time Bandits are worth the increase in price vs the other versions? Are the transfers the same since they are not anamorphic?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Now, more importantly, do you guys feel the Criterion version of Brazil and Time Bandits
The Criterion Brazil is one of the best DVD packages ever assembled. Three disks: the first containing the director’s cut and with a commentary by Gilliam; the second has a several, standard extras such as storyboards and such, but also a documentary on the meaning of Brazil, a documentary on the fight between Gilliam and Universal on the production and release of Brazil, and comments on the script and on the music; the third disk has the ‘happy’ ending, short version of the movie and includes a commentary track on this version, with some very interesting points made as to how some of the editing choices change our view of the movie.

Also, I found the quality of both the picture and sound to be first rate.

Of course, if you are only interested in the movie, the additional money for the history, etc. would not be money well spent.

I have only seen Time Bandits in the theatre, so I can’t comment on the DVD (its one of many that I own, but have not had the time to watch).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks