What's new

Help with a projector decision. (1 Viewer)

Jbitzer

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bitzer
I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I find all the projector information really confusing and don't want to spend a couple grand to have a crap experience.

All I really want is a decent projector and screen for outside on my patio occasionally.
I don't need speakers,
I don't need a media player built in.
I have about 6-12 feet distance from the screen.
It's on the north side of the house, so it's not bright back there at any part of the day.
I just don't want to buy crap

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not sure what you're really expecting/hoping for, but no projector setup will work outdoors during daylight hours (since you mentioned "It's on the north side of the house, so it's not bright back there at any part of the day").

Assuming you're just using it during nighttime hours, you probably do want the brightest PJ in your budget range since there may still be a fair amount of ambient light out unless you live in the boondocks or something (and will also not keep any outdoor lights on). An Epson model (maybe around $800-2K depending on the exact features you want/need) is probably a good way to go.

For the screen, you could maybe go w/ something like this:

Do note the stand for this Yardmaster rig does need another ~1.5ft clearance behind the screen... although I suppose you might be able to rig it otherwise, if you really need it flushed up against a wall -- I have an older version that I've been using almost flushed against a wall, but the stand on mine doesn't have the extra diagonal bracing part that might prevent that.

IF you really expect some to sit a mere 6ft away, you'll probably want a smaller screen -- even 100" screen might be too big for 6ft viewing distance, especially for those not used to a very big image.

I imagine you'd also need a decent stand for the PJ. Maybe something like this unless you get a short-throw PJ -- I have the larger version of this myself (model 425):

IF you opt for a short-throw PJ, you could keep it in front of the audience and probably won't need a dedicated stand (to place the PJ high enough over people's heads), but there are fewer options for short-throw... and they do come w/ their own cons (usually somewhat lower overall PQ and maybe more geometry problems w/ setup that may or may not matter to you).

Probably shouldn't bother w/ 4K for this me thinks...

_Man_

Jbitzer

Auditioning
Real Name
John Bitzer
Not sure what you're really expecting/hoping for, but no projector setup will work outdoors during daylight hours (since you mentioned "It's on the north side of the house, so it's not bright back there at any part of the day").

Assuming you're just using it during nighttime hours, you probably do want the brightest PJ in your budget range since there may still be a fair amount of ambient light out unless you live in the boondocks or something (and will also not keep any outdoor lights on). An Epson model (maybe around $800-2K depending on the exact features you want/need) is probably a good way to go.

For the screen, you could maybe go w/ something like this:

Do note the stand for this Yardmaster rig does need another ~1.5ft clearance behind the screen... although I suppose you might be able to rig it otherwise, if you really need it flushed up against a wall -- I have an older version that I've been using almost flushed against a wall, but the stand on mine doesn't have the extra diagonal bracing part that might prevent that.

IF you really expect some to sit a mere 6ft away, you'll probably want a smaller screen -- even 100" screen might be too big for 6ft viewing distance, especially for those not used to a very big image.

I imagine you'd also need a decent stand for the PJ. Maybe something like this unless you get a short-throw PJ -- I have the larger version of this myself (model 425):

IF you opt for a short-throw PJ, you could keep it in front of the audience and probably won't need a dedicated stand (to place the PJ high enough over people's heads), but there are fewer options for short-throw... and they do come w/ their own cons (usually somewhat lower overall PQ and maybe more geometry problems w/ setup that may or may not matter to you).

Probably shouldn't bother w/ 4K for this me thinks...

_Man_

Yeah, it'll be at night, but I was saying It's always dark back there because waiting until sun completely sets isn't an issue.

What is an issue is it's under my 10x12 pergola and I'm not sure where the cross members will cause a shadow so throw might be important... I got my fire table and chairs out there so a stand will be needed to clear that I guess.

I was thinking a roll down screen I can install under the soffit cause I got about 2.5 feet overhang there and my speakers are mounted there. I'm not too concerned with 4k, maybe watching a UFC fight or old movie or Tv show while we're out there drinking.

But I also don't want some 800x600 piece of crap made for power point presentations or something.

The main thing is the pergola structure being in frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks