What's new

Help w/ speaker selection (1 Viewer)

Mike--M

Grip
Hello all, I have been lurking these groups for a while and appreciate all the info...

I have a Yamaha RX-v630 and an Infinity BU-2 sub. I am looking for a some advide on what I should do to build the aduio portion of my home theater system.

I would like to spend less than $2000.00 on speakers, so I am looking for speaker recommendations. My room is approx. 15x15 and I would like to play music and watch movies with the system...

I am wondering if I should invest in a more powerfull reciever or if it is fine to push a decent set of speakers.

One last thing, I have had my sub for about 8 years (almost never used) it seems to work fine, is it decent?

As you can probably tell, I am pretty new to this stuff so please excuse my ignorance.

Mike

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you plan to keep you sub, here's what I would recommend for under $2000:

Mains B&W DM603 x2
Center B&W LCR60
Surround B&W DM602 x2

I think this would be a great setup to at least audition if you have a local B&W dealer. This comes in around $1800 MSRP I believe, so you could probably get it for less than that.

And if you could talk them down a little from that you might could put the rest of the money toward an Hsu or SVS sub (although I'm not familiar with the sub you have, so you may not need a new one).

Mike--M

Grip
Thanks for the reply,

Do you think that my current receiver will power those speakrs? It is 75 watts per channel RMS.

I will definatley look into the B&W speakers that you mentioned.

What do you thin kof the Monitor Audio silver series? I was considering the S8 fronts and the SFX rears? I have found a set of open box ones for $1300.00 for the set.

Thanks again for the input...

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, not sure if your receiver will handle them or not. Traditionally B&W's are very power hungry, but I'm not sure about this particular line. I've heard them, but I don't own them, so I'm not really sure. I'm not familiar with the other speakers you mentioned, so hopefully someone else will drop in and have some good advice for you.

Mike--M

Grip
I hate to bump my own post but I am looking to buy the Monitor Audio Silver 8s fronts online and would like to know if they my 75 watt per channel amp will be adequate to push them in a 15X15 room with a loped (vaulted to one side only) room.

Thanks agin,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks