What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help needed - Specs on an older, discontinued Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I am a dedicated user of the NEAR [New England Audio Research] line [2 50-MEs, 20-M center, 2 15-M surrounds], and I have an opportunity to pick up a NEAR Boom-2 sub.
But I can't find specs on the unit. I know it is passive, but I'm interested in freq response. My 50-MEs go down to 27hz and my interest is in filling out the 20-27hz void more than enhancing mid-bass.
I recall the Boom-4 having monster #s [with 4 8" drivers], but this is only 2 8" drivers.
Anyone have literature or plots on this unit?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Google search shows that this sub has two 8 1/4" ceramic coated aluminum high excursion drivers with a magnetic liquid centering coil (no spider for centering voice coil). Specs show low frequency of 17HZ +/- 1db. It retailed for $1100.00 in 1995.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
John

I understand that you would like to stick with NEAR, however, in my humble opinion, it is unlikely that a sub with two 8 inch drivers is going to give you much below 25 HZ. I don't claim to be a subwoofer expert, but have been involved with subs for more than 10 years.... If your plan is to continue running your main speakers full range, and just want a sub to fill in the sub 20Hz range to about 30Hz, you need to look at other subs.
First, it would need to be quite capable in the 15-30Hz octave.
Second, it would need a crossover that cuts off very low, at 30 Hz. I have an SVS sub but the lowest crossover is 40Hz. The Hsu VTF-3MKII tested out at 3db down at 16Hz, and has a 30Hz crossover. $699 plus shipping.

Matching sub brand to speaker brand is generally not considered a very big deal. Please feel free to send me a Private Message if you would like additional information.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
It was about the particular sub being a decent deal, more than brand loyalty.
And if it's not filling the 20-27 gap, I'm not particularly interested.
I was just asking in case someone had specs on it to verify.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brian13mt
Recent bookmarks