What's new

help: DVD in Black & White? (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Second Unit
Okay, here's an interesting situation, I'm hoping someone has seen something similar.
I have a '99 Toshiba TW57H81 CRT RPTV when I try to view DVD the content is in B&W. I've tried sources from the Toshiba DVD Player, Xbox 360 & PS2. When I view the 360 menu's they're all in color, but as soon as a DVD goes in, it goes B&W.
I've tried both inputs on the TV, I've removed my Component switcher from the equation, everything appears normal, just can't view DVD in Color.
This is new, everything worked fine until the last couple days.

Any suggestions? Please?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You mean it happened suddenly with no changes to any of the cabling?

Try unplugging and replugging each and every cable. This cleans and improves each connection. Just one plug, one end, at a time to be sure you put the plug back in the same place.

All three of the cables (green Y, blue Pb, red Pr) for component video must be in place for component video to work properly.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
First make sure you are not watching Casablanca. ;)

Second, this sounds like a component cable issue. One of the cables is not making contact.

Try what Allan suggested and if that does not work try a new component cable.

Good luck.

Mike

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Oh, by the way, do not connect a green jack to a yellow jack except for experiments or testing.

The green output jack of a DVD player, all by itself, delivers a black and white picture in full detail.

And also, most TV's have the input jacks in groups such as for Video 1, Video 2, etc. If the component jacks in a group are in use, the yellow jack and S-video jack, if any, should be empty and vice versa. Otherwise unpredictable things may happen. Use a different group for S-video, a different group for composite, if needed.

Chris M

Second Unit
From the DVD player to the TV via S-vid works fine, just tested it. I changed component cables as well.
The thing I find REALLY weird is the Xbox 360 menu's and even video's from media center work perfectly, but as soon as I play a DVD (even the DVD menu's) it's all B&W.
I switched between PS2, 360 and DVD Player/Recorder and whenever a DVD is in, it's in B&W.

Could there be something in my my TV interferring with the DVD Signal, but not any other signal? XBox 360, HDTV From Bell 9200, S-Video input, all work perfectly, just DVD through Component connectors is B&W.

I also removed all S-video and Composite connectors from the TV. All that's connected to it is cable (which is inactive) and 2 sets of component cables, one for Bell 9200 HD-PVR and one for: Xbox 360, PS2, DVD Player/Recorder.

Chris M

Second Unit
I just tried my PS2 and it was B&W even with games. I'm wondering if somehow the TV is converting all 480i & 480p to B&W through component since S-Vid is in color? Is that possible?

Does the 360 output 480 for DVD's instead of upconverting to 1080 while games and the menu is in 1080?

It's the only thing I can think of.

If so what would cause this and would there be a fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks