What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Help configuring windows media connect for use with xbox 360 (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my 360 since launch day and at first the windows media connect feature worked. A few days later it quit working entirely and hasnt worked since. I'm configured on a wireless network, but xbox live works fine so im convinced it is something wrong with my pc settings. I have a linksys wireless B router, windows xp, and no other firewalls except the one with xp. I have tried everything I know of to fix this, but I cant get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The only thing I can suggest is that you unplug the X Box from the electrical outlet, unplug the wireless connection to the X Box and then wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then plug the X Box back in and allow it to boot up and then plug in your wireless connection to the X Box. Go through your X Box setup and have it connect to your wireless connection.

I have read a couple of threads on connectivity problems with X Box 360 and an HTPC with Media Center 2005 but didn't read that much on it as I don't have an X Box yet.

I have found though when I lose connection with the other PCs that I have on my wireless network that restarting the PC, etc. as above will usually reset the wireless connection.

Parker

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your help. I tried that and it still didn't help. I forgot to put this in my earlier post,but the xbox 360 actually sees that my PC is there, just wont access the music and picture files. I am also not running windows media center, just xp pro with media connect.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Bradley,

Just to double check, you went to the site and downloaded the software required to do this? And, you ran the setup on the Xbox? Remember, without the Media Center Operating System, you can only access the pictures and music on your computer.(Correct me if I'm mistaken)

If so, during the setup, what connection test did it fail? Since it sees the computer is there, make sure you go into Windows and allow the individual folders to be accessed. I believe they are turned off as a default. Double click on the Media Connect icon, go to devices, and allow Microsoft 360 to be connected. I think you have to then go into sharing, and allow which folders it can access, in this case your music and picture folders whereever you've located them.

Try that, then let me know if you are still having issues.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I downloaded the software and the setup file. The connection test doesnt have anything that fails. Thats what has me stumped. I have all my folders that I want enabled. I really don't know what else do to.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Well, a few things you could try before calling the dreaded 1800-4MY-XBOX.

If you are going through a router, try either a different one or a direct connection to see if that helps at all. You could also try disabling all firewall programs on your computer, to see if that is blocking anything from your Xbox. Other than that, I'm pretty stumped.

The representatives on the help should be able to help you out, or you can try searching your problem on the Microsoft website.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Mine works fine.

Bradley - If you're still having trouble try removing the PC from the networking tab on the system blade (last one). Then go to the media blade and select either pictures or audio and select to stream from a Windows-based PC. The 360 should reaquire your network and allow you access.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks