What's new

[help]Any recommendation of a power amplifier for Cambridge Soundworks Model Six Bookshelf Speakers (1 Viewer)

Jankins

Auditioning
Real Name
Jankins
Hello,

I don't whether this is the right place to post this thread. If it is not, sorry for it.

I just bought a Cambridge Soundworks Model Six Bookshelf Speakers for 100 bucks. But I found a problem. I have to buy a power amplifier to drive it!!!!!

I know nothing about power amplifier. My budget is a little tight. I am a student and I want to buy a power amplifier to make the speaker work with my laptop.

Any recommendation?

Thanks so much.

Jankins

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There are a couple of things you can do. I It may be cheapest to buy a two channel (stereo receiver). If you are on a budget I would look on craigslist for either a receiver or amplifier. According to the speaker specs you need an amp with somewhere between 15 and 150 watts that can handle an 8 Ohm load. Most amplifiers or receivers list what they output somewhere on the front or back panel. Most amplifiers have just one input. Using a receiver would allow to plug in a lot of things (TV, DVD, Wii, XBOX, iPod, etc) and allow you to choose which source you want to listen to by selecting it on the front panel.

MIN/MAX POWER
spacer.gif
15 WATTS / 150 WATTSSENSITIVITY
spacer.gif
90DBNOMINAL IMPEDANCE
spacer.gif
8 OHMS

Jankins

Auditioning
Real Name
Jankins
Thanks for your reply.

I read an article about how to choose an power amplifier. It says(I quote): a good rule of thumb is to pick an amplifier that can deliver power equal to twice the speaker's continuous IEC power rating.

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/live-sound/power-amplifiers/buying-guide.php

And I found an product which may work:
Sherwood RX-4103 AM/FM Stereo Receiver - RX-4105
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90136348&listingid=33999519

Would you please help me to take a look at it?

Thanks so much.

Jankins

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That Sherwood looks similar to a model that I used to own and recently sold on Craig's List for about $40. I used the Sherwood to power a pair of Optimus speakers in our bedroom, and receiver was decent for the money. The sound sources were cable TV and a DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks