What's new

Help A Brit! (1 Viewer)

Greg Dickinson

Auditioning
Hi Folks

After recently kitting out my home in the UK with a nice home cinema set-up, my Dad has asked for some help in doing the same for him in the US. He has a "flexible" budget.. roundabout $10,000 to $12,000..

He needs - a 40" (or thereabouts) plasma with a built in HD tuner.. Are there any models that are particularly well thought of out there? Who wins "best of" in all the magazines? Over here Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer and Sony all seem pretty hot.

A Dolby 5.1 amp and speakers (+DTS possibly)..

A prog scan DVD player.

Ergonomically, the sony plasmas with built in HDTV tuner and their all-in-one prog scan DVD / 5.1 amp lifestyle systems looks the business (especially the one with the tall freestanding speakers). What does this kit perform like though? The Pioneer kit looks good to me over here too.

Can anyone recommend a good reviews site (other than this one!) and online store for purchase in the US too?

I saved some money and bought a 32" Philips Pixel Plus TV here in the UK. I note Philips do a 34" HDTV version of this set in the US too. Does it get good reviews in the states?

Any help much appreciated..

Greg

Greg Dickinson

Auditioning
Also meant to ask is it possible to buy a prog scan DVD player / all in one system that is multi-region too? Any good online-retailers selling Multi-region kit out there?

Greg

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Don't know about the multi-region but for dvd players, get the Panasonic RP-82 which also does dvd-a. It has one of the better video chips (from Farouja) and does not suffer from the chroma bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks