What's new

heavy amps on top of projection tv (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Is this a bad idea? A combined 70 -100 lbs on top of the projection tv (receiver, external amps, center channel).

Len Cheong

Second Unit
My tv is a pioneer elite 700. Looks like thick wood. I'll take a look at some ht pics. If nobody does it, I guess it's a stupid thing to do.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I have my receiver, DVD player, CD changer, Monster power center, VCR, and Klipsch center channel on top of my Mitsubishi 55". With my computer center on a huge L-shaped oak desk, and a king sized bed, it would be a real squeeze to fit an equipment rack into my bedroom, like it used to be with only a 35" TV. So far, no problems. I'll be interested if others do the same. I told the salesman what I was going to put on top and he said that I shouldn't worry.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Well, all the opinions seem to be negative about heavy loads on top of the TV. I really hadn't thought too much about it, but, after hearing what you all said, I decided to move the gear off of my TV top. To do so, I had to disconnect, reconnect, and test both my computer system and HT components. It took 3 hours and my wife thought I was crazy, but it was actually kind of fun. I got some satisfaction detangling all of the cords and cables, something I should have done long ago, but being kind of lazy... I spread the components for HT over my desk. As I said, it is pretty huge. Anyway, thanks for the good tip. By the way, my new Klipsch RC-3 arrives tomorrow. That's still going on top of my TV. It only weighs 29 pounds and I did move what I figure to be at least 80 pounds off of the Mitsubishi's top.

Regards

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
If space is an issue, you can still place the equipment above the TV--just not directly resting on it. Build or buy yourself a simple wood stand that fits snugly around/above the TV.

--Steve

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
I own a 46" RCA big screen that I bought in 1987 (still works great)and I have my H/K 510,2 Rotel Amps,1 DVD,1 5-Disc CD Player,a center channel and a VCR all piled on top.Had it this way for 4 years with no problems although the cabinet is not the chinsey plastic of today's sets but oak hardwood all around...a bitch to move though.

Frank Frandsen

Stunt Coordinator
I have my center channel, Tivo and digital cable box on top of my Mitsubishi RPTV and I can notice in bowing in the middle. It is not severe enough to relocate the items but I will not be able to get a bigger center channel anytime soon. The picture still looks fine.

My amp would crack it, however.

Frank

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I just moved a bunch of gear off an Elite 610, back to a flexy rack. Even though the Elite has thick panels and doesn't show any warping, I feel I did the right thing.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I've had the following on top of my 60" RPTV for the last 3 and a half years with no ill effects:
Center Channel speaker
Satellite receiver
A/V receiver
DVD player
VCR
A cooler that's always fully stocked with Sam Adams
Just kidding, I don't really have a VCR..... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks