What's new

HDTV vs LCD monitor + Speakers (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Hello all,

What would you upgrade -for now-, if you were in my position.

I use a 17" trinitron monitor. I'm on the PC a lot, and I play most types of games on it (FPS like counterstrike included). Though my PC time is windows (2d) 70%, games (3d) 30%. I've heard the contrast just isn't very high so some games become unplayable because they are dark, and because they are blurry because the response time of the monitor is too low.

I use a 27" nonHDTV but it has component inputs. I'm pretty fine with the picture for all games (xbox, ps2, gc) and DVs, though I know I would probably like progressive scan and a larger set.

I use a harman kardon receiver with philips speakers/subwoofer (5.1). I like what it sounds like for movies, but music it's pretty bad. They are bookshelf speakers all around, and don't sound very good for music.

I'm choosing between a 43" 4:3 HDTV, or Energy take 5.2 speakers/subwoofer and a 17" LCD monitor.

I'm thinking that the 17" LCD monitor..I'm actually happy with my 17" trinitro, I don't know why I even want a 17" LCD other than having it as a novelty - unless people can suggest reasons why I should have one.

The energy take 5 set has good reviews all around, especially for small rooms like mine (12x12).

An HDTV for the obvious reasons of progressive scan video games/DVDs, and 16:9 squeezed DVDs. A larger 4:3 TV would help for games, too.

Thanks for any opinions - it is ultimately my decision but what would you guys choose? I'm usually a spontaneous buyer, but also sometimes one who critically thinks decisions to the last bit - I either think about it a lot or I buy it without thinking - no middle.

-ELmO

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some LCD computer monitors are not suitable for video because of the response time problem and resulting blurry image hyou mentioned (referred to in video terms as too long a persistence).
Also, LCD monitors require scaling (may or may not be built into the monitor's circuitry) to get the picture to fill the screen. Typically video uses 480 rows of pixels (1080 or in some cases 540 for 1080i HDTV). If your LCD monitor does not do scaling and is meant for 1024 x 768 PC video, a DVD player (progressive) will cause the monitor to auto-select 640 x 480 mode and the picture will occupy a 480 row high space in the middle with black on all four sides.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks