What's new
World Wide Stereo

HDMI or Optical Audio ? (1 Viewer)

DavidUL

Agent
I went through some posts but couldnt really find an answer so i pose this question once again..

RECIEVER: ROTEL1057
AUDIO/VIDIO: PS3
TV: Mits wd57733
DTV: HD RECIEVER (coming tomorrow not sure what the model is yet)

Should i go HDMI from the PS3 & the DTV to the reciever and optical for audio ?

Should I go HDMI direct to the TV from the devices ?

I am 99% sure the rotel will take 1080p (ports are 1.1 passthrough and i think there are 2 ins and 1 out)

My gut says hdmi for video and stick with the optical for now until next year when i can bump up the reciever to 1.3

thanks for any comments or thougths in advance.

dave

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
If your receiver has 2 HDMI in and 1 out, just run them both to the receiver and skip the optical for audio. At least that's how I'd do it.

CRyan

Screenwriter
No. If your receiver can process PCM audio through HDMI deffinately go HDMI!!!

You will get uncompressed audio through your receiver just fine. You don't need 1.3 for uncompressed audio.

CRyan

Screenwriter
It is a common mistake. 1.3 theoretically allows the raw bitstream undecoded to be passed to the receiver for decoding. However, there are no player currently that can do that. Right now it is the player that decodes and sends it as PCM to the receiver. You should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks