What's new

HDMI issue... need your help troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

RichardnVA

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Would appreciate your help with a problem I'm having with my home theater.

First, here's my setup:
HDTV fed via HDMI from a Yamaha Home Theater Receiver (RX-V3800) to a wall mounted Panasonic Plasma TV (54" G20). All my video sources (DVR, PS3, DVD) feed into the Yamaha and then I have a HDMI 35' in wall "home run" cable to the TV.

We had an electrical storm that knocked out quite a few electronics in the house, among them my 50" Panasonic plasma TV. Upon closer examination the TV still works, but the HDMI input was dead. I hooked up a smaller 17" Zenith LCD to the HDMI cable and was able to get a picture on it, so I assumed the HDMI port on the Plasma was dead. The on-screen menu still worked and I was able to get the other inputs (component and composite) to work. I got an authorized Panasonic TV repairmain and he couldn't fix the plasma, Panasonic no longer makes the needed DG board to fix the HDMI port. So I buy another Panasonic Plasma. Hook it up and... no picture! On screen menu works (just like my damaged TV) so I try different inputs and I'm able to get a picture. So I test the HDMI cable with the smaller LCD tv again, and I get a picture on the LCD. So I keep trouble shooting and try bypassing the Receiver and plug my PS3 directly into the TV via HDMI, and I get a picture. Try the same thing with my DVR and I get a picture, so I think it must be the HDMI out jack on my Receiver, but when I plug the smaller TV into the HDMI out on the receiver I get a picture. Could the HDMI jack be "partially" damaged? Is there some type of power sensitivity in the HDMI circuitry? I believe a couple of the pins in the HDMI cable are powered, could this be an issue? As I mentioned above the HDMI "home run" cable is 35' long. The cable works as I've tried it on several different components, but it doesn't work when hooked up to the Yamaha Receiver. I would think that because it's a digital connection that if it was damaged, I wouldn't get any signal at all, but I get a signal when hooking the 17" LCD into the Receiver HDMI port. Could it be an issue with the 1080p signal that the Panasonic needs? The LCD TV is not 1080p. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dverity

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
My thoughts as I read your post were taken to resolution as you touched on at the end. With the power outage there certainly could have been damage done, but could also be just a settings thing too. Depending on the hit and how long the power was out the settings would go back to a default setting. If the setting in the Yamaha is to something other than a pass through resolution you may just not be matching on them both.

I would check resolution settings on both. First

RichardnVA

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
dverity, thanks for the thoughts.

I did do a manual reset on the Yamaha to reset all the default settings.

That should have reset the HDMI resolution to "Through", but I'll go in and double check.

I don't have any analog inputs, so I didn't check the conversion (upscaling) settings (default is "on") or the HDMI aspect ratio (default is "Through").

Any other areas to check?

Thanks!

dverity

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
From all the tests that you ran, you have eliminated a lot of possibilities. You have effectively somewhat eliminated the cable, the TV, and the receiver. To me it seems you have lost some auto configuring of resolution or some other setting in the receiver or the TV.

Once you have verified that it is set to "Through" try the PS3 again since that worked as a direct connection.

I went to the receiver settings first because hooking it up to the PS3 and getting an image kind of points me that way, but it still could be a setting in the TV. There is data passed over HDMI and it is two directional so one product may communicate differently than another. So even if pass is set I would check settings on TV to make sure it is looking at all resolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks